Monday, July 30, 2007

Paraphrasing and praying Psalm 139... and Spurgeon

O Lord, you search my daughter, and you know her.
You know when she sits, and when she rises,
you perceive her thoughts from afar.
You discern her going out, and lying down;
you are familiar with all her ways.
Before a word is even on her tongue
you know it completely, O magnificent Lord.

You hem her in--behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon her.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, her mother--who knows her so well;
too lofty for me to attain to--ever.

Where can she go from Your Spirit?
Where can she flee from Your Presence?
If she goes up to the heavens, you are there;
if she makes her bed in the depths, you are there.
If she rises on the wings of the dawn,
if she settles on the far side of the sea,
even there Your hand will guide her,
Your right hand will hold her fast.

*****************************************

...for You created her inmost being.
You knit her together in her mother's womb.
I praise you because she is fearfully and wonderfully made.
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
Her frame was not hidden from you,
when she was made in the secret place.
When she was woven together in the depths of the earth
your eyes saw her unformed body.
All the days ordained for her
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.


****************************************

Lord....serach my thoughts, as this anxious mother...know my thoughts.
test me.
See if there is any offensive way in me, as her mother.
Lead me in the way everlasting.

****************************************

I have taken the liberty of paraphrasing Psalm 139 to a great extent here. I have prayed this prayer for my children many times. It is so amazing to me that our Lord knows us extensively. He knows all about us. So why do I turn to others so often for help, instead of Him...the one who knows me best?

I love the Lord's ways, they are always good and right. I find peace in praying these verses for my children.

"By His messengers, His Word, and His Spirit, the Lord Jesus sweetly and graciously compels men to come in, so that they may eat of His marriage supper. He does this, not by any violation of the free will of man, but by the power of His grace. I may exercise power over another man's (child's) will, yet that other man's (child's) will may be perfectly free, because the contraint is excercised in a manner that is harmonious with the laws of the human mind. Jehovah Jesus knows how--by irresistable arguements addressed to the understanding, by mighty reasons appealing to the affections, and by the mysterious influence of His Holy Spirit operating on all powers and passions of the soul--to subdue the whole man. In this way, whereas the man was once rebellious, he now yields cheerfully to Christ's rule, conquered by soverign love."
~Charles Spurgeon "Morning and Evening"

Amazing and mind-blowing.

14 comments:

Tracy said...

Amazing, indeed! I love to pray scripture as well.

Joel and Jaime said...

It is awesome when you think about it, isn't it? That amazing love and grace of Christ...

Beverly said...

Mind - blowing, yes. A beautiful prayer from your heart.

Stacy said...

I do this, too-- praying God's word, inserting my childrens' names. In fact, I did this just this morning. It's so powerful, isn't it?
I am grateful for your example of godly motherhood, Andrea!
Blessings to you and yours today,
~Stacy

dorothy said...

Andrea,

I love your paraphrase. You have given me such a wonderful way to pray over my little ones. I find such peace in the scripture that assures me that He created my little ones in the secret place and knew full well each and every aspect of their creation. Thanks for that.

(((((HUGS))))) sandi said...

This made me cry! I have a daughter after four boys, and while I love them all, it's SO DIFFERENT! and I am so easily moved to tears with such thoughts as her growing up under my imperfect instruction!

I LOVED what your mother taught you, btw.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Mrs Wibbs said...

Andrea, wow thank you!! This is powerful indeed. I am going through a really tough time with my oldest, Samuel, and I think the Lord has just spoken through you :o) I so love this psalm it is one of my favourites, but had never thought I could use it in this way... I really love it, and want to learn to pray through the Scriptures more and more!

L.L. Barkat said...

One of my special Psalms.

The part about being fearfully and wonderfully made reminds me not to be down on myself (or others), for to be down on myself is to be unappreciative of God's creative hand in making me. So this helps to get me out of self-pity and onto prayer for the Spirit's help.

Betty said...

Wow! I needed this today! I have needed a creative way to pray for my children. I have had a hard time praying lately. . . not saying words but truly feeling them and sensing the Lord's presence. I cling to what I know through His Word and wait for the feelings to return. I know He never leaves me, He knows my coming and going, but He never goes.

Thanks so much, Andrea.
Grace & Peace,
Betty

Grafted Branch @ Restoring the Years said...

There must have been a memo, because at church, Psalm 139 was the teaching. One of our teachers is also a high school biology teacher. Deadpan humor. Awed by God.

All those qualities intersect for a compelling sermon. This time he was quietly marveling on the human hand and encouraging us to realize and remember that God is a macro-manager AND a micro-manager. And that is why He is God.

Elise said...

His words are always good and right, yes. I love that reminder.

What a beautiful way to rephrase such a lovely Psalm - I want to do the same for my little ones. Who will also be remaining their ages forever, thank you very much. ;)

schnuckiputzi said...

Your daughter is wonderfully and truly blessed by such a sensitive and creative mother. God bless!

Randi said...

It always helps to personalize scripture. The way you wrote this out is inspiring!

Elizabeth said...

God's Word is alive and gives life and hope.

Worn out from crying and worrying and pleading...God has been faithful.

So glad to have found this.