Monday, July 16, 2007

They that wait on the Lord...

I've been thinkng a lot lately about my good friend who has been waiting a long time for her baby daughter to come to her from China. I'm inspired by her waiting, her patience. Though I don't see her at all while she is going through this wait, I know she is being prayerful, productive, and patient. Three important "P's" while waiting, I suppose. Obeying is another.

This whole waiting game seems to be a thing of God, it's just obvious the way in which He is the Grand Orchestrater. By Orchestrater, I mean He is very precise, very fine-tuned into His creation. Lately, my husband and I have been watching the Planet Earth documentaries before nodding off to sleep, and they are just so amazing. What is striking me is the complete timing of our God in nature. For example, most animals are close to starving before nature brings them food in the form of a rainstorm, or warming, or cooling. Just when you think there is no hope that this poor animal will find any food, something happens almost miraculously to bring them a source of food. Yet they wait: productive and patient...perhaps praying? Yes, the Bible says the Earth is filled with His glory and that is surely a prayer.

Or just the wonder that sulfuric acid stalagmites and stalacmites in caves at one momment could burn skin, but if the temperature and environment is right, they dry into beautiful crystal formations.

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matthew 6:25-26

This verse is much more real to me after viewing only one of these documentaries.

If only we would wait, and find Joy in the waiting. Sometimes I learn that only because I have exhausted all my own energies and manipulations of our Lord. Quietly, He says, It's not going to happen the way you want it to. You must wait.

And, I know, that in His Grand Orchestration of All Things, whatever I am waiting for or wanting will happen...when I obey...and wait.

"Wait on God and He will work, but don't wait in spirtual sulks because you cannot see an inch in front of you! Are we detached enough from our own spirtual hysterics to wait on God? To wait is not to sit with folded hands, but to learn to do what we are told."~Oswald Chambers

Would you join me in praying for my friend? For her baby to come to her quickly? And for her waiting time? Thank you.

11 comments:

Joni said...

Great thoughts, Andrea. I love the Planet Earth series. I especially enjoyed how you wove the story of our waiting (in Christ) to the waiting of creation. I'm going to miss the BBC when we come home from London in September!

Beck said...

Oh, that gave me chills! That was beautiful!
And of course I'll pray for your friend and for her baby's safe arrival.

Courtney said...

Wow! God is in every detail, isn't He?! Thanks, friend. It is His Grace that sustains us in our time of need; and hope in the goodness that is to come.

L.L. Barkat said...

This reminds me of when our other mutual friend was waiting. How painful and long a journey! Who knows why we wait sometimes? Maybe it is to accomplish purposes completely outside of us. But to wait is to trust. I pray the trust aspect for your friend.

Blessings on your day...

e-Mom said...

You have some well-crafted thoughts here Andrea! Yes, in God's perfect plan, Timing is everything. Since patience is one of the fruits of the Spirit, time must be a special quality of the character of God himself. I find that remarkable--even God must wait patiently for the fulfillment of his own plan for Redemption.

I will keep your friend who is patiently waiting for her child in prayer. :~)

Beverly said...

Yes, I will keep your friend in prayer. I really appreciated your post because I often find myself being tense and irritated when I have to wait. I will remember your exhortation to find "joy in the waiting." This is indeed what the Lord would have us do. Thank you, Andrea!

Anonymous said...

Andrea- One of my dearest friends is also waiting for their baby from China as well. Thanks for your words!
Ami

Brenda said...

Oh boy! I have learned some lessons about waiting on the Lord and His timing. I always likened it to the Israelites standing at the edge of the Red Sea with Pharoah's army fast approaching. What hope did they have? And then, at the perfect moment, God provided deliverance as only He could.
If only we could stop "suggesting" to God how He might fix things and truly trust while we wait...

Sarah said...

Doesn't it seem like we are always waiting for something?! And yet, far too often, it's with a grumpy face and, as Oswald Chambers put it in your quote, with folded hands. I think waiting on the Lord is part of the faith process. Do we trust Him enough to KNOW that His best IS best, even when our limited understanding of our lives and our desire to control them tells us we should yank the reigns from God. (as if we can do that right!) My goal in this life long lesson of patience is to learn to embrace the waiting, with full confidence that my God knows best. Thanks for this post my friend!
Sarah

tonia.sparrow said...

Oh, the Lord has been working this in me this year...so hard for us "less than patient" people. :)

I think I will reserve that Planet Earth series...looks like a good one, and I always come away from nature programs with wonder and praise on my lips. What a GOD!

I'll pray for your friend today.

Marybeth said...

I had a friend who was also in this same predicament. It broke my heart to see her wait and pray, wait and pray-- for this baby God gave her a vision for named Phoebe.
On Saturday I ran into her-- and Phoebe! It was so special to see her dream fulfilled in that little girl grinning from her stroller!
I have lifted up your friend today...