Friday, July 06, 2007

Utah



Utah holds a special place in my heart. It's where I met my husband, my daughter. Where I discovered true community and learned so much more about my faith.

There are many things I love there. One cannot miss the majestic mountains encircling the Salt Lake Valley in a warm sunscaped embrace. It is truly a beautiful city. I never tire of looking at those mountains.

I also love the dry weather. Despite being dried up the first couple of days on our visit there, I love that my hair is frizz-free, and if the temperatures are at 100 degrees, it doesn't feel like a New York 100 degrees. I love the dry, desert air.

We usually visit there to see my wonderful in-laws who I do love seeing. Being at my mother-in-law's home is like being at a second mother's home. I feel that comfortable. My husband is one of 9 children, so there is never any lack of cousins, aunts, or uncles. Utah is a second home to me.

Since we had ample babysitters, my husband and I were able to go out together--alone--2 nights of our trip. My mother-in-law is wonderful about watching the children. She always offers--I never have to ask.

One night we went to K-mart--where they have those old school black and white photo booths. We had a great time taking crazy pictures with each other. Look on this website to see if there is one near you.

We also went to see a movie called Once. If you can bypass some language, it's a great film. The ending makes it worthwhile.

And, finally, I have another thing to love about Salt Lake. When I found out Elise was going to be taking a trip to Salt Lake this past week, I immediately emailed her, hoping we would be able to meet up together while we were both there. The meeting was wonderfully God orchestrated, on many levels, one being we discovered we were only staying a few blocks away from each other!!

How do I describe the meeting? One word: amazing. Elise is as you know her on her blog: warm, nurturing, calming, easy to listen and talk to. It's like you know a blogger on one dimension, but meeting them in person--chit-chatting about yourself and your family with each other--puts it in just another dimension. It was a surreal and unique experience, and I was so blessed to meet with her. By the way, her hair is just as lovely in person as her picture! I do hope we can meet up again since she will be moving there. Another reason to love Utah.


Elise and I

But, now I'm back, and it's regroup time after vacation. I will miss Utah, but... it's good to be home.

9 comments:

Elise said...

Oh, we are so blessed! I still can't believe it happened...

It was lovely to see a picture and hear about the rest of your trip, too! I'm so very glad that you love Utah and will be back - makes the moving not so hard!

*Sigh* - alas, we are back to cyber hugs, but it will simply have to do until next time! :)

(((Andrea)))
Love you.

Holly said...

Okaaaaay....I'm not even slightly jealous.....nope.....not even an eensy, teensy, weensy....little....bit.

I'm lying. :)

How incredible for the two of you! I really, truly am sincerely pleased for you! You both look lovely.

Miriam said...

So glad that you had a wonderful trip, Andrea, and I'm so happy for you and Elise that you got to meet up! And, it is so fun to see a photo of the two of you side by side. God is amazing in how He works and connects people...by His Spirit it truly is a small world sometimes. :)

Joel and Jaime said...

I decided to come over and check out your blog after seeing the most recent post on Elise's page. That's so cool that you two got to actually meet each other in person!
I really like your blog, by the way.I'd like to start visiting it more often :)

tonia said...

lucky! (that was my Napoleon Dynamite impression.)

You two are GORGEOUS!

AIMEE said...

pretty pretty ladies and such a God-thing!
Hope we can do an SC rendezvous in August?? Are you still coming down?

Allison said...

Andrea, it's so wonderful that you were able to meet a fellow blogger - what wonderful gift you both received. I also enjoyed hearing about your great trip to Utah and all the things you love about it. It sounds really pretty. I'm originally from Idaho and I really miss it.

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Mrs. Pivec said...

I just love that top photo of you and your children in front of the mountains. It seems like it was a wonderful trip. Welcome home!

bluemountainmama said...

way cool that you met up! blogging is such an amazing thing....the connections you make. i recently met two bloggers that were the first i read. that was the first time i ever met any in person. a great community, indeed......