Saturday, August 18, 2007

Dreams

As a mother, I dream big dreams. I try not to let those dreams get in the way of my everyday living, and consequently, my contentment, but I still like to dream them.

These could be dreams I have for my children, for the future, for my circumstances of life. It could be about where I'd like to live someday, or picturing my children and their children, around my dinner table. However, it's easy to sometimes cross that fine line into discontentment through those dreams.

But God knows what He's doing. He doesn't just give us those dreams. We may have to work, we may have to wait. We definitely keep praying, and asking. We may have to just be humble and accept what we're given, in love, of course. He always gives to us in love.

Sometimes I think God has a way of allowing dreams to die so that He can supernaturally resurrect them. In other words, He causes us to constantly need Him. That is the big dream.

I know of no greater simplifier for all of life. Whatever happens is assigned. Does the intellect balk at that? Can we say that there are things that happen to us that do not belong to our lovingly assigned "portion"("This belongs to it, that does not") Are some things, then, out of the control of the Almighty? Every assignment is measured and controlled for my eternal good. As I accept the given portion, other options are canceled. Decisions become much easier, directions clearer, and hence my heart becomes inexpressibly quieter. A quiet heart is content with what God gives.
~Elisabeth Elliot

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Glad you're back!

Jana said...

It's good to see you back.

Great post, too!

Kendra said...

"However, it's easy to sometimes cross that fine line into discontentment through those dreams."

Amen. I've often got my head in the clouds, too. Meanwhile, my husband likes to stare at his shoes. I often remark that God was gracious in giving us each other to balance one another out!

Thanks for the reminder to keep our focus on desiring what the Lord wants for us.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Great post! I love that quote. Needing Him - now THAT is the big dream. Thank you!