Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Jumpstarting

This week, while I am still away visiting at my parent's home, I am spending my nights researching, planning, and organizing my homeschool days to come. I'm doing a big revamp of my entire schedule.

Because I am somewhat of a perfectionist, detailed schedules overwhelm me. (A paradox?) I feel like I have to attend to all details of my schedule, and if I don't, then I feel unaccomplished in some ways. So I tend to be a "routine" sort of person, while also taking Elisabeth Elliot's advice to "do the next thing". (Such great advice in all areas of life.)

Assisting me in my inspiration to begin "all things anew" are a few worthy posts of late:

Ann's New Days post. (Make sure you read all the links in the post.)

Jana's Overcoming Laziness series. Good, good, stuff.

Home. School. Simple. by Tonia. I am implementing her idea of "Mommy Boot Camp".

This year I will be using the Ambleside Online book list for year one with my 6 (almost 7) and 4 (almost 5) year old. It is such a concise and rich reading list. I am excited about reading them with my children.

This time of year is inclusive to revision and planning. I like to think of it as having new mercies.

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Enjoy your preparation...a labor of love indeed, as you ponder how to shape your children over the next year. Thanks for the links. Good reads!

Joni said...

Hi Andrea,

I consider myself a routines kind of girl myself, for the same kinds of reasons you described. The perfectionistic part of me can't stand not sticking perfectly to the "schedule" and then I became less than a blessing to those in my presence! ;)

Blessings, Friend! Enjoy your time with family.

L.L. Barkat said...

I'm enjoying the planning process too. In spring, I think I'll never have energy to do it yet again THIS time, but by summer's end, I can't wait to dive in.

Stacy said...

Andrea-
I've loved those posts by Ann and Tonia, too! I'll check out Jana's. And we're also using AO- Year One, too. I'm anxious to get started!
Blessings to you and yours today,
~Stacy

Jana said...

OOOHHH! I LOVE the planning stage! We've been schooling for three weeks already, so I'm kinda envious of you!

Anyway, thanks for the links! I LOVED Ann's article. It went with my Laziness series so well that I included the link in tomorrow's post. Wonderful!

Christine said...

You are what they call a frustrated perfectionist. I know because I'm one too. If it can't be perfect, I shy away from it a bit. That's the way I am with my home! I get overwhelmed if I can't keep up and then feel as if I can't do anything!

I'm looking forward to reading the links. Thanks!

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Thanks for the links. The laziness thing is good.