Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9-11

This past Sunday, we drove down to Brooklyn to see my new darling nephew, not even a week old. In traffic going home, we were stopped beside the Trade Towers site. Right now it's a pit, basically a construction site if you didn't know they were there. Cranes and concrete. Yet, they are still finding bones.

I thought to myself, there must be people in Nebraska or somewhere that have no idea really the magnitude of it all. I lived in NYC for 6 months before moving to the suburbs, and the Towers were indeed a "fixture" of the Manhattan skyscape....you could not miss them, they were huge. The people who have never even seen the towers knew that this attack on our soil was scary, was unreal, was crazy. However, when you are close to it all, it becomes even more so.

Thankfully, no one close to me was killed in the attacks. I knew people who had family members who died, and I saw all the unclaimed cars at the train station the next day. That was close enough.

Last year, I wrote my account of where I was and what I was doing when we were attacked. Some people are questioning whether or not we should "keep remembering" and how long can we do the memorials, etc. I say for however long it takes. Whatever that means or is.

9-11 was a unique attack on our country and it still disturbs me today. May we never forget.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm not from Nebraska, but I was one of those ones who really didn't know what the twin towers were before that day. My partner teacher and I switched on the radio to see if a local toddler had been found who was missing--and heard. I looked at the clock and asked, "What time is it in New York? Were people already at work?"
It was no end of scary. And we were very, very, far away. And all I wanted to do was drive to the babysitter's house to get my baby. But I was stuck at work--taking care of other people's children.
I have never been so happy to pick her up. Safe and sound.

I will never forget.

Courtney said...

Andrea,
Thanks for sharing this as a reminder on behalf of those lives that were lost during this tragic event. I'll never forget the enormity of 9-11. It's like America's "Holocaust" in many ways. The day of and days after, and still to this day, it's so easy to put myself in the shoes of those who died -- They were just common everyday people, like me, with families, homes, and jobs. It truly changed me forever. Though I hate seeing the images over and over again in the media, it must be so, so that no American will ever forget the cost of Freedom.

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

At the risk of sounding insensitive, I wanted to say I'm one of those people who were too far away to be very personally affected by the 9/11 phenomenon.

I certainly have prayed for those affected, and feel compassion for them, but I read accounts and blog post of people who swear they'll never forget, and how it changed their lives, and I know I'll never really *get* it.

It's made me think of how we react to any of the huge tragedies that rock our world.

There are people (I'm thinking specifically of the Middle East just now) who go through 9/11s on an annual, if not monthly or weekly, basis.

My prayer when I see remembrances for 9/11 is that we would see past our own memories of pain, and use it to understand (for the first time?) there are those with fresher sorrow and hurts than ours.

I don't say this to minimize the realness of our pain or the changes we were forced through, but to remind us that we are not utterly unique in them.

I pray we be careful not to become selfish-- even in (national) sorrow.

Beck said...

My husband had visited the Twin Towers on a highschool trip, years ago. Geographically speaking, I'm not all that far away from New York City, which might have added to how horrified I felt. I was also pregnant when it happened. Terrible.

Kendra said...

I enjoyed reading your account of the day. I was geographically very far away from the event. I was teaching first grade while my 1 year old was at the babysitter's. I just remember dropping to my knees and weeping over what I could hear on the radio while my students were at PE.
It was incredibly disturbing.

Miriam said...

Andrea, I really appreciate reading your perspective about 9-11, living so close as you do. You're right it is so easy to not have a full sense of the loss just hearing of it over the news. Oh, and I had no idea they are still finding bones. Thoughts and prayers with you as you remember today. Thanks so much for sharing, and for helping me remember too.

Grafted Branch @ Restoring the Years said...

We must never forget! We must stay vigilant!

I don't know why it surprises me that you're in NY. In my mind, I had you hunkered down in Montana or Wyoming.

I must make time tonight to read your post from last year.