Sunday, September 23, 2007

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace
How sweet the sound...


My hands were raised while singing in church this morning, a natural reaction to the words in this song. The baby wriggled in his seat, and I had to open my eyes to check on him, interuppted in praise. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my sweet 6 year old, singing, hands raised in praise. My heart swelled in thankfulness at this little child's faith: of grace she does not fully know of yet, but praising Him for it. Oh, that's what He wants from us!!

...that saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now I'm found
Was blind but now I see...


I remembered before I really came to know Him, I was lost. Feeding on bits of New Age so-called wisdom, and Biblical truth learned as a child and teen, but not really knowing how to piece it all together in my life. In need of His grace and forgiveness...the real Truth.

I realized each of my children has a journey to overcoming the blindness that is sin. I don't know how He will reveal His grace. Slowly and surely? Through wrong choices? Through some other circumstance? I feel at peace at whatever He chooses, for to see His Amazing Grace makes it all worthwhile.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed...


The grace that Jesus gives, and gave me, came very quickly. When I was open to it, my fears of living in this world were relieved: I had "discovered" myself: not through some self-help book, or spiritual experience, but only through Him. He made me see who I really was.

When we've been there
Ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun
We've no less days
To sing God's praise
Than when we'd first begun...


These words make me lift my hands higher...how can I praise Him more? And to give us more than 10,000 years? May I praise His name forever!

10 comments:

Terry said...

Beautiful thoughts. I think we all need to trust God in the area of our childrens' walk with Him. This was a blessing as I have kids entering their teen years. Thank you.

Elise said...

Oh, those beautiful hymns! Captivating us again and again with their simple, lovely words!

It is so beautiful when the impact of what we were saved from hits us again... I think He does it to bring us closer to Him... it can be painful, but so comforting as well.

Singing with you - hands stretched to the sky!

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Beautiful. Your surrender to whatever the Lord might use to reveal Himself to your children shows a maturity and a peace with the fact that they are His.

Goodlikeamedicine said...

Ditto - "beautiful!"

That happened to me yesterday in worship as well. The kids were smiling and baby was lifting her hands, too! It made my heart swell.

Singing with you, too!!!

e-Mom said...

Beautiful! Our kids do what they see us doing... and raising hands in worship seems natural to them if we do it. Amazing Grace is my husband's all-time favorite hymn... he says we have to sing it at his funeral. (Well, Okay.) Hugs, e-Mom

Jana said...

I don't think anything makes my heart swell with joy more than seeing my little ones praising Jesus. There's just nothing like it!

Thanks for sharing this post. Yesterday was the first Sunday of MANY that I will be missing the adult service to help with the children's ministry, and I DID miss the worship time. Your post sent me into my own personal worship service, and I always love those times!

Short said...

I love how you wrote this. It's beautiful!

Beverly said...

This hymn is a classic (for want of a better word) and a gem. What a beautiful picture of a family worshipping together. Yes-- "He saved a wretch like me!" And praise the Lord for it!

Kendra said...

How sweet to see your daughter worshipping from her own little heart.

Mary Brooke said...

Andrea,
Beautiful post. We love being together as a family in corporate worship and often sang "Amazing Grace" to our babies. Mary Brooke