Thursday, October 11, 2007

Things I like to do on a rainy day



Today I was afforded the luxury of staying home on a rainy day, with no where to go: Ahh. Bliss. It made it all the more sweeter that it was a rainy day. I enjoyed my "doing nothin' time"....even though we certainly did not "do nothin'".

Things I loved:

~Getting a whole lot of school work done.
~Starting The Boxcar Children--oh! the mystery! "Keep reading, Mama!"
~Flipping on PBS for the girls and finding "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" comes on at 2:30 every day! The joy! "You like this show, don't you, Mama?" Indeed, I do.
~Being able to prep dinner in the morning, so I had time in the afternoon to bake chocolate chip cookies.
~Putting on a cozy sweater, making a single cup of decaf, with a smidgen of milk, and enjoying the dark, damp, weather.
~Not feeling exhausted at the end of the day. (Therefore, I am up late now. :)

And on a similar note, Betty pointed me to this lovely post written by Elizabeth at "Real Learning". Read it here. I loved it so much and wanted to share it all with you, since we are on the topic of how much open time to keep in your day. This relates to that beautifully.

Have a fabulous weekend, friends.

Slow me down, Lord,
Ease the pounding of my heart
By the quieting of my mind.
Steady this hurried pace with a vision of
The eternal reach of time.
Give me among the confusion of the day
The calmness of the everlasting hills.

~author unknown

7 comments:

:..Rebekah..: said...

Ah, I love rainy days. I love being wrapped up within my home with my family...nothing to do but be together!

The NON-Superwoman said...

Sounds like the perfect day indeed! Love that quote.

Stacy said...

Ah... sounds delightful! :)
I love reading snippets of others' days. And yours sounds so nice, Andrea!

Blessings to you and yours,
~Stacy

Elise said...

Oh, I'm so glad you do this, too... those kinds of days are my favorite, and reading this reminds me to not take them for granted! I love the sun, but when it's rainy, or even just cold and cloudy, there is a burden lifted... we can't go outside to play, so let's play board games and read read read! :)

It's posts like these that so make me wish I lived next door... that would be me, wrapped up in the down comforter, knocking on your door with two mugs of tea (or coffee!) in my hands. And a hug.

Beck said...

It was rainy yesterday and today it's below FREEZING! So we've been more or less housebound for nearly a week and I am a little wee bit bored... Oh well, there's always lots of laundry to keep me busy!

mary Brooke said...

Yes to the above. Sounds wonderful. Your plate is lovely and I like the old little people type toys. We own 6 of the Mr. Rogers episodes (on 3 DVDs). I just bought a pack of 2 DVDs w/4 episodes) from Amazon for only $12 for a gift. Mary Brooke in Atlanta

Beverly said...

That poem brings a sense of peace to the heart! It sounds like a wonderful day, Andrea. We so need days like these. And I love Mr. Rogers too!