Sunday, November 11, 2007

Faith like a child

The other morning I was cranky and grouchy, having to lag a chair around to various bedrooms in my home, and having to get on tippy-toe to change several light bulbs in the fixtures in said bedrooms. All this done with a toddler getting into everything you could imagine, and I was behind on my day.

I was cranky with my kids, and it happened that, as I was in their room, changing their light bulbs, a children's bible song came on their little cd player:

I want to be like Jesus, think like Jesus, do what He would do...
In every way, every where, every day, let His love and grace shine through..
I want to be like Jesus, so that Jesus, will be seen in me...
Father, help me be...like Jesus.

Ever had one of those moments when you are convicted by a children's bible song? Or a child? That was me in that moment. It really did cause me to examine my heart and change it.

Or say, like tonight, while playing the piano, flipping through my "Easy Piano Hymn Collection", I came across "Jesus Loves Me". I had no idea it had more verses:

2nd and 3rd verse to "Jesus Loves Me":

Jesus loves me, He who died,
Heaven's gate to open wide,
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

Jesus, take this heart of mine,
Make it pure and wholly Thine,
Thou hast bled and died for me,
I will hence forth live for Thee.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

So often we look at that song and think it is a simple child's song. But what comfort the second and third verses bring; they are richly filled with sound theology!

Having children, I see so more clearly what God means when He says to have faith like a child. I see why Jesus took them upon His knee, blessing them, and using them as an example. We are to be students of our children, not just for their own sake, but for ours as well.

Nursing infants gurgle choruses about you;
toddlers shout the songs
That drown out enemy talk,
and silence atheist babble.
~Psalm 8:2 (The Message)


10 comments:

Sheila said...

Those verses from the Message are terrific!

What song is the one you heard in your child's room? I don't think I know it. Its a good one!

Your post was a great reminder and nudge to me to get off the computer and do my Bible study. :)

AIMEE said...

Friend!!!! I have misssed you!! I have not read blogs in a long time...today I saw your photo with Sara and my heart was so warmed!! Would love to hear all about your visit with her and how you are. Y'all look so beautiful!!
Aimee

Monica said...

I am learning something new and convicting from my children all the time. I'm so thankful that the Lord chooses to use even them to teach us His lessons.

Grafted Branch @ Restoring the Years said...

I appreciate that hymn. I, too, was surprised the first time we sang about 6 of the versus in a Presbyterian Church we attended (aka "high church"). It fit right in...

Terry said...

Yes, Andrea, it's true. The Lord can and does use even the simplest things to touch our hearts and call us to a higher place. Thanks for sharing this with us.

ukrainiac said...

Motherhood is so humbling...

Deb said...

Hmm...thinking and feeling safe and warm.

Beck said...

Yes, that HAS happened! I was in a despairing mood one day and the Girl skipped through the room singing "It Is Well With My Soul" and I felt like a shower of gold had rained down upon me.

Stacy said...

We love those extra Jesus-Loves-Me verses, too. :)

~Stacy

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Love those additional verses, and yes I am often convicted and/or heartened by the children's songs that play.