Friday, November 09, 2007

Glorifying God

Q. What is the chief end of man? A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, and enjoy Him forever.

In submitting to my husband's wishes, I am in essense, glorifying God. Woman was created for the man, not man for the woman:

For a man is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man; for indeed man was not created for the woman's sake, but woman for the man's sake.
~ I Corinthians 11:7-9


We can certainly scrub floors to the glory of God. Not badgering our husbands for a bookshelf is glorifying God. It's this paradigm shift of looking at each thought, each moment, for His glory. Questioning and asking. This is what I am learning as I read and do the study of The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace.

In the end, after trying not to "sell" the bookshelf to my husband the other night, he actually said: "If you want it, you can get it." Needless to say, I was very happy! Sometimes things work out that way, sometimes they do not. I just pray I can be as consistent as I can in giving God the glory.

From Elisabeth Elliot, on disciplining our thoughts:

The disciple who means to compel every one of his thoughts to surrender in obedience to Christ would do well to test himself by asking:
1) Whose glory do I seek?
2) Is this for or against the knowledge of God?
3) Am I giving mind to wholesome precepts?
4) Am I morbidly keen on mere verbal questions and quibbles?
5) Is it more important for me to understand than to obey?
6) Is it more important for me to know than to believe?
7) Will one side of the question inconvenience me?
8) Do I reject a particular truth because it will inconvenience me?
(Elisabeth Elliot, Discipline: The Glad Surrender, Revell, 1982)

5 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Here's a very interesting thought. The man, in the original Hebrew language in Genesis, was not a "man" until the "woman" was created. Once she was created, the word "man" comes into the text. Before that, the Hebrew word used for Adam is neutral. Isn't that cool? I'm not sure what that implies except that somehow man and woman define and complement each other in an amazing way that is mysterious. We are inextricably linked in terms of our identities. (Which is what makes the curse so sorrowful, I think, for in it that amazing identity bond becomes twisted and burdened.)

Just a few light thoughts here for your morning. ;-)

Mindy said...

I just read The Excellent Wife also and actually referred to it in one of my recent posts. Very good book!!

Terry said...

If we could view everything we do in light of our chief end, which is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever, how much brighter our lights would be! Thank you Andrea for another post to draw us back to the heart of the matter.

Mrs. "M" said...

Love those questions! Thanks for posting those.

Crystal said...

Wow! I love the list of 8 questions! Thank you for this post..very helpful!