Monday, November 26, 2007

Pondering, musing, sipping...

You know what? Sometimes I think there's nothin' that a hot cup of tea can't solve. Do you know the feeling? Do you feel the tea love?

There's something so satisfying about making a cup (or pot) of tea. The very act of making tea takes time. No nuking it in the microwave...no, I've got to put the water in the kettle, let it boil, prepare the tea leaves (or bag), wait for it to steep, pour, wait for it to cool... then sip, ponder, and muse. It slows me down.

William Gladstone said, "If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are exhausted, it will calm you."

Some people enjoy a good cup of coffee. (I love one in the morning!) But throughout the day, I love to look forward to the ritual of tea making. It's a ritual that can calm our spirit. Tea also invites conversation and musing. You'll find me sipping my cup thoughtfully, with both hands around the mug.

What's your favorite cup of tea?
I'll share mine:

Precious Lemon Roobios. Sara left me a few bags of this, and I used them all up in two days...fantastic stuff.

Good Earth Cool Mint Organic Tea. Love this!! It's soothing and has Roobios in it, good for lots of things!!

Valerian Peppermint. This is like my "glass of wine", since I don't drink wine. :) I am drinking this right now. After a long day, a cup of this and a warm soak in the bath will set me straight.

I have many more favorites*, but these are the ones I am loving right now. Care to pour a cup... sip, muse, and share your favorites?

*Listen, y'all. I *am* from the South, and I love my sweet tea!! It does have it's place!!

10 comments:

Joni said...

Hey Andrea,

Yeah, I'm feelin' the "tea love" with you! I don't have a fave- love em all, but I do so love the ritual, just as you described. I picked up a great book in London about the ritual of biscuits with tea there. Really funny (and informative for a non-Englander). It was called, "A Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down".

The NON-Superwoman said...

The Valerian Peppermint sounds delicous. Going to have to check that one out. Love the idea of slowing down with a cup of tea :-)

sheep wanderer said...

I didn't realise you Americans were as hot on tea as we are in Britain:-)

I think Chai tea and especially Chai Lattes are best, but if I had to choose something that solves all then I'd opt for a nice rich hot chocolate.

Ummm...

Beck said...

I do love Roobios tea!

Brenda said...

OK, I'll throw my opinion in...

I hate tea. Unless it is iced tea.

I am so un-cultured.

Oh, and I hate coffee too. But I LOVE the smell of it!!!!

Now you know.

anya* said...

oh, just reading a post about tea is relaxing:)

growing up i remember my before bed snack, well into my teens. a cup of earl grey, a bit of sugar and a spot of milk- paired with a ginger cookie i truly though i was anne of green gables.

now i generally drink coffee both morning and afternoon- but some rainy days here in the NW just call for tea.

happy drinking.

Terry said...

I'm flabbergasted, Andrea! You wrote somethig I can't relate to. I don't have much use for a hot cup of tea. Though I love an ice cold glass of very sweet tea. One of the things I miss most since becoming "with chid" is my morning coffee. It's always one of the things I look forward to as my pregnancies near their end.

Beverly said...

Ahhhhh. I am feelin' the tea love with ya! I do drink my morning cup of coffee and totally enjoy that. But yes, tea has become my late afternoon or evening favorite. I love sitting with my hands around my mug and watching the steam rise. I love it when my hubby joins me for a cup of blueberry tea. Thanks for this post. I feel relaxed just reading it.

Goodlikeamedicine said...

I didn't know you were from the South! That must be why I love you so much! haha!

I, too, like the Good Earth Cool Mint... also love Celestial Seasons English Toffee Dessert Tea!!!

AIMEE said...

I am enjoying the STASH Christmas Eve tea these days but my new fave is The Republic of Tea Red Tea...Good Hope Vanilla Rooibos