Saturday, November 24, 2007

Pressing on

Dear Lord,

Sometimes this "raising my children for Christ" thing is tiring...overwhelming. I could just give up. So many obstacles in the course, too much junk in this world to entice them other ways. I feel hopeless today.

But, I know that if I have planted this seed, in due time, the harvest will come. That is a hard thing to remember, when I am faced with my own failings, my own sin, and frustrated with the sin of my children and my husband. We can't be perfect, but how I want that so sometimes!

Lord, self-control is a fruit of the spirit, and I need it right now. It feels easier to give up, but I must have self-control to persevere, to do what is right in Your eyes. To be like You, to give glory to You. Lord, help me tend to the possible, You do the impossible.

Lord, help me not make excuses that this present hour is too busy. Help me learn to catch the hurrying hour, to use the moments that are flying by!! This is sacred wisdom. There really is no "convenient season".

Lord...help me press on.

Moses said to God, "Look you tell me, 'Lead these people', but you don't let me know whom you're going to send with me. You tell me, 'I know you well and you are special to me.' If I am so special to you, let me in on your plans. That way, I will continue being special to you. Don't forget, this is your people, your responsibility."
God said, "My presence will go with you. I'll see the journey to the end."
Moses said, "If your presence doesn't take the lead here, call this trip off right now. How else will it be known that you're with me in this, with me and your people? Are you traveling with us or not? How else will we know that we're special, I and your people, among all other people on this planet Earth?"
God said to Moses: "All right. Just as you say; this also I will do, for I know you well and you are special to me. I know you by name."
~Exodus 33:12-17 (The Message)

6 comments:

Terry said...

Beautiful post. You always write things that echo my feelings, inspire me, or make me think. Thank you. For reminding me that time is of the essence and that I can't waste too much of it nursing my petty frustrations given what's at stake.

Andrea said...

Terry,
It's so nice to know others have these same feelings and thoughts. IT makes the journey so much easier. Thank you for sharing with me today. :)

Mindy said...

Andrea,
Continue to let Him love you, let Him do it through you. He knows you are not capable of doing a single thing without Him. Let His mercies flow over you. Cling to Him. Let Him guide you. He will honor your hearts desire. I think you are in a beautiful place, we need to remember that we ARE incapable without Him. Thanks for sharing.

:..Rebekah..: said...

Oh Andrea, thank you for this honest prayer and for the beautiful scripture to go with it. I too have had SO many moments when I have felt overwhelmed knowing that my imperfect self is who God has called to raise the children that he has blessed me with. But God is so faithful as the scripture says, and he is with us. Thank you for the reminder!

L.L. Barkat said...

Sometimes I think this is the reason I lose patience, or lose steam, or lose a sense of keepin' on... because, as the Moses passage implies, there's an issue of "I don't feel special." And in a way that's all right. Because it leads me to reflect on how I need God... the One and Only who always upholds, always cares, even when I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Marybeth said...

Thanks Andrea for putting my own thoughts and feelings to words-- and for inspiring me to get up right then, in that moment-- to catch the hurrying hour-- and go hug my very unlovable teenager! I love how you correlated this passage with motherhood-- so rich.