Sunday, November 18, 2007

So that they may be won over without a word...

There is a verse in the Bible that I have to remind myself often of, in my relationship with my husband:

Likewise, you wives, be submissive to your husbands, so that some, though they do not obey the word, may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, when they see your reverent and chaste behavior. ~I Peter 3:1-2


Now, my husband thankfully obeys the Word, and believes the Word, but this verse can apply to so many areas in our lives.
What it says to me is this:

1. I need to take the beam out of my own eye before criticizing my husband.
2. My focus should be on my own relationship with God, not his.
3. I can make the greatest change in my husband by my own behavior.

Similarly, this can apply to children, friends, family....we need to preach less, and live more.

A lot of the problem with "Christian" entertainment is that it is poorly done, cheesy, and overly "preachy". If we are going to be changed or inspired by something, it must come from the heart, it must strike a nerve, it must be so beautiful and magnificent that we cannot pry our eyes or hearts away from it.

God is like this. When you know and believe the truths of God, they are not cheap substitutes for how to live your best life, they are rich and wonderful and mysterious and full of awe.

As a mother, I want to make my life interesting...to show my children that living for God is adventurous, comforting, satisfying, freeing, full of joy. I want them to want what I've got. I do so pray I succeed in doing that, with His grace of course.

Similarly, I like movies with a message, that make you think, that change you. I'm not a big fan of movies for entertainment's sake.(though they do have their place!) If we are to reach the unsaved, if we are to change minds, we should have Christian entertainment out there that is well done, inspiring, and beautiful. Much like God's word and God Himself.

An example of this is the just re-released movie Bella. If you have a chance, you should make an effort to go see and support this film. It is a wonderful, inspiring, non-preachy, pro-life, movie. Much like God Himself. And though it is not neccesarily "Christian", it is one of those movies where people can be won over without a word. I like that. It is what we need.

20 comments:

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I really want to see this film and support these Christian men trying to make a go in Hollywood.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea! Mitch Albom's books came to mind when I read your post. I find a lot of Christian themes to consider, even though they are not labeled as such. I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!
Ami

Mary Brooke said...

Andrea, I really liked this post and shared with my husband. I think about approving what is "excellent and praiseworthy" all the time...and it will be *caught* by our children. I love a quote by Jackie K. Onassis..."Read the great writers...in doing so you will develop an appreciation for excellence that will shape your life". Elisabeth Elliott is my kind of a role model, but I like Ms. Onassis' quote. Mary Brooke

Terry said...

This is a wonderful post that resonates with me because I came to Christ before my husband did. The Word of God is true- he was won not through my words, but through my behavior. I am so thankful to God for showing me the right way to be the wife I'm supposed to be. Thanks again for your most profound insights. Oh, and go visit me today- big news over there!

:..Rebekah..: said...

A wonderfully true and encouraging word, Andrea. Thank you.

Elise said...

Wonderful words, friend. I've been reading "Let Me Be A Woman" by Elisabeth Elliot and was reminded of her words... "You married a sinner, and so did he..."
You struck a nerve with me... I won't forget. :)

Love you.

Elise said...

Oh - and the movie looks great! Thanks for the heads up!

Mindy said...

Thanks Andrea! Good to be reminded. Some times it is so hard to keep my mouth shut and even harder to change my heart...

Ginnie said...

Thanks for another wonderful post. I so enjoy visiting. I am always encouraged and challenged by each of your posts. Keep them coming. Thanks also for the heads up on the movie Bella. Now I have plans for the weekend!

Shaunna said...

Andrea,
I just stumbled upon your blog. What a great post!! I was reading some previous posts and read about the "Jesus Loves Me" song with the additional verses. We have a worship lullabye CD that is fabulous. It is called "Sing Over Me". It has the whole "Jesus Loves Me" song and many other awesome worship songs in lullabye form. My daughter LOVES the CD. You should check it out!
Shaunna

Sarah said...

Oh so relevent to where my heart has been of late. Thanks for letting God speak through you once again. Removing that plank can be so difficult, but it sure seems easy to tug at our spouse's splinters. But by the grace right!
Sarah

Ann V.@HolyExperience said...

Won over without a word:
our children
our neighbors
our world.

What if I lived that way?

Convicted. Deeply.
Thank you, Andrea....

tonia said...

We're heading out to see that movie tonight. I am so looking forward to it. Great post, Andrea!

Kendra said...

So, so true. I have to remind myself daily that the only person I can change is me. And, how does my life differ from those who are lost? Could they possibly want what I have?

That sounds like a great movie, thanks for the heads up on it. I don't go to the theater often, but this looks like one that I would like to support.

Oh, and I had to laugh a little at your links. ;)

dorothy said...

Thanks for this timely reminder:) There is such wisdom in that verse, and I am writing it on an index card to keep in front of my tonight.

Happy Thanksgiving!
love,
dorothy

Beverly said...

Yes, yes, yes!

And thank you for the movie idea -- I so appreciate movie suggestions from people I trust.

Mrs. Pivec said...

There's so much to respond to in this post ~ so nicely put, Andrea.

I am one who has 1 Peter 3:1-2 in my mind much of the time, as my husband is NOT a believer.

I AM a believer in this verse, though, and love how you have applied it to larger realms.

One of my favorite authors who speaks to this very thing is Edith Schaeffer. I especially think her book The Hidden Art of Homemaking talks about just this.

"As a mother, I want to make my life interesting...to show my children that living for God is adventurous, comforting, satisfying, freeing, full of joy. I want them to want what I've got. I do so pray I succeed in doing that, with His grace of course."

I agree with this completely and share with you one of my own favorite quotes in a similar vein by Karey Swan,

"We can make all the influences and relationships of domestic life the co-support to the great works of God. I long to make my life an attractive image or example of what God has taught. A spontaneous overflowing of the heart. To take the ordinary and the commonplace, things we often pass by and do not see, and make them extraordinary and significant."

*sigh* Yes, THAT is how I want to live. Such a good reminder (I think I'll post this quote on my blog! :)).

Thanks for the link for the movie; I'll have to check it out.

Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

tonia said...

Andrea,

We went and saw Bella last night...such an affirming, loving, wonderful film. I really enjoyed it. A movie about true LOVE...on so many levels.

Thanks for the encouragement to go.

Tonia

Betsy said...

Andrea- How funny that you already posted this and then we get to actually talk about it the next day! How cool that it was already on your mind. So fun seeing yall this week. Have a great turkey day with the fam. we love yall!

Mindy said...

I hope you had a great day with family. I wrote a post about Christmas today and I would love your opinion. If you get time, will you please stop by? Thanks!