Monday, December 10, 2007

The essentials

This morning I put a movie on for my girls so that I could do some last minute internet Christmas shopping. Of course, when I expect no interupptions, that's exactly what I get. "I'm hungry, mom!" ..."Mom! The baby is bothering me!" and so on. I was very frustrated. Can't I just do what I need to do?

Ironically, in the midst of all this celebratin' Jesus' birth, it's easy to get focused on the non-essentials: gifts, baking, decorations, even Advent readings. Sure, these things are all well and good, but even good things can get in the way of what's Great. It's been said that children keep you grounded, and while I agree, they also keep me focused on the daily essentials. Feeding. Cleaning. Disciplining. Loving. ...Serving. These things are the essentials. Why are all these *other* non-essentials vying for my time and energy when they are really what's *not* important?

So I am reminded... and I repented of my selfishness this morning. It's not about you, Andrea. As I've said so many times.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'" ~Matthew 25:35-40

5 comments:

Terry said...

At the risk of sounding redundant: Your posts are awesome! Thanks for reminding us of what's important.

Mrs. "M" said...

Andrea,

Thanks for the encouragment. I have had one of those selfish days myself. Just wanting some "space" was my claim. Correcting my children for complaining and then doing it myself. This post was perfect timing!

dorothy said...

Thanks for the wise reminder. I love those verses you shared, especially in light of motherhood.

L.L. Barkat said...

Agreeing with Dorothy here. These verses are quite apt for family life!

Elise said...

Oh, how this refrain needs to be said to we mama's over and over and over...
It is not about me.
This is such a wonderful reminder at this time of year, Andrea. Letters to mail and gifts to wrap and travel plans to be made and cookies to bake and nursing homes to visit... the unessentials side-by-side with essentials - it gets fuzzy! :)
Love you.