Friday, January 04, 2008

Lists

As I promised, my book list of reads for the upcoming year:

~Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss

~For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macauley

The above books I read yearly. They inspire greatly.

~Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

~Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers by Gordon Neufeld

~Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the way we make things by William McDonough

~When Children Love to Learn ed. Elaine Cooper

~Open Heart Open Home by Karen Maines

~Mitten Strings for God by Katrina Kenison

~Contemplative Mom by Ann Kroeker (Her blog here.)

~Captivating by John and Staci Eldredge

~My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams

A lot of these books I have started but not finished. That's mainly why they are on this list.

I also plan to keep reading The Excellent Wife for my women's bible study group as well as focus on the Gospels and the Prophet books for my Bible reading times.


Resolution/Goals List:

~Continue to work on improving Bible reading and prayer time.
~Begin to run for exercise.
~Do something creative every day.

That was so hard to just list three for I have so many!! But for now, I will focus on these as my "top three", all the while listing goals for my own personal satisfaction. :)

If you make a reading list on your blog, let me know. I love to see what others are reading. Or perhaps email me what you are reading. I'd love to hear.

Have a wonderful and restful weekend!!

15 comments:

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I need to read Stepping Heavenward again, too. I enjoyed it so much when I read it 2 1/2 years ago.

I am beginning to run as well this year!! I managed to go twice this week, but it's bitterly cold now, so we'll see if I can go this weekend or not.

AndiMae said...

Andrea, I just recently discovered your blog and have been so inspired and encouraged by what I have read so far! Happy New Year!

Mrs. B. said...

Just popping in to say that looks like a great reading list! :)
Lots of those books my mom has read and passed on to me. I just started For The Children's Sake. Inspiring!

Mary Brooke said...

"Home Education" Charlotte Mason (finish before our year one starts!!)
"Boundaries With Kids" w/husband
"Turning Hearts" audio CDs by Chris and Ellyn Davis-vision for our childrens' education!
"Stepping Heavenward"-praying to have a women's discussion group this summer!
"My Antonia" Willa Cather
"Giants in the Earth" Rolevag (both about the pioneers)
I got to hear Ranald Macauley (Susan's husband) at the 2006 CM conference in NC. Also, a lot of the authors of "When Children Love to Learn". Very good stuff!Mary Brooke

AIMEE said...

I thought I'd see "Stepping Heavenward" at the top of your list :) Can't wait to re-read that again too! I also want to read Cradle to Cradle and Open Heart Open Home. Right now I am in the middle of "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "Belles on their Toes".

Christine said...

"Hold on the Your Kids" is on my nightstand...can't wait to read it. I didn't do much reading last year for many reasons, but plan to burn through my stack this year! Love to read your list!

anya* said...

great reading list. i have an old copy of 'open heart, open home' that is taped and highlighted and greatly loved that my mom gave me. i found it to be so inspiring the first year i was married.i should dig it out again..

Brenda said...

Are you ready?

1. Blogs
2. E-mail
3. Children's library books

I am nothing if not literate. Would you believe I was an English minor in college?

What has my world come to?

On My Mind said...

Some of my all-time favorite books? Here's a few...

~Teaching to Change Lives
~Celebration of Discipline
~Preaching that Speaks to Women
~Surprised by the Voice of God

Now, am I a nerd or what?!

Just bought a couple from your list and am looking forward to reading them. I'm also reading a few on homeschooling right now, too, as I decide whether or not to homeschool our son.

Ann V.@HolyExperience said...

You whet my appetite with this list, Andrea... THANK YOU! (I kept nodding and jotting!)

Beverly said...

Yes! Wonderful reads! Some of them I have read, and others I hope to read soon. Stepping Heavenward has greatly impacted my life. Have you ever read Aunt Jane's Hero - also by Elizabeth Prentiss?

Kelly said...

I am still putting together my list for the year--saw a few to check out.

I also love "Stepping Heavenward "and have really been impacted by "The Excellent Wife."

Kendra said...

I'm nearly done with Sense and Sensibility, it's been my first Jane read. I haven't been able to put it down lately! I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Elise said...

Well, I didn't have a reading list for this year... UNTIL NOW! Thanks for the great ideas! All I knew is that I wanted to plow through all of Elliot this year, along with Prentiss re-reads and the Mitford series again.
I'm excited about "Open Heart, Open Home"! Thanks!

L.L. Barkat said...

Booklist. To be determined. This year, I'm going to be researching (because I want to practice them more fully) the spiritual disciplines. My first subject is solitude. So I read Invitation to Solitude and Silence and have just begun Thomas Merton's Learning to Love: Exploring Solitude and Freedom. I'll probably try to read from 5-10 books on each of my chosen disciplines for this year. Really, I'm so excited.

And of course there'll be a good list of "issues" books, beginning with Lost Mountain: A Year in the Vanishing Wilderness. And going on to .... ? We'll see where the year takes me!

Thanks for asking. I love talking about books.