Saturday, January 12, 2008

Perceptions

I don't so much care what people think of me in this stage of my life, but I do wonder about people's perception of me. I want to be what I seem to be. I'm thinking about this:
The saying goes that we are three persons in one: 1. The person we perceive ourselves to be; 2. The person others perceive us to be; and 3. The person we are.

Now I'm wondering where God sees us and how that fits in. Truly, I never felt like "myself", until He began to abide in my heart.

The other night I was looking closely in the mirror at my skin--the small wrinkles appearing around my eyes, the creases around my mouth. "I wish I had twenty- year- old skin!", I complained to my husband. You see, I perceive my skin to look like what it did when I was twenty, but when I take a closer look--it's not!!

I'm wondering about my own perceptions of myself. Am I overly concerned with what outsiders think, or am I concerned with what God knows me to be? How sincere am I? Am I what I seem to be? (Am I thinkin' too much about all this?)

There are so many other kinds of perceptions of reality in this life. I was watching a wonderful movie last night, The Quarrel. It's amazing to me the different perceptions that people can have. One man bitter about his faith because of the Holocaust, one man embraces his faith because of the Holocaust.

So, where do we begin to be that person whom God perceives us to be? When we allow the Lord to abide in us, so that He can purify our thoughts, deeds, and ideas. Instead of starting on the outside--asking how we want others to perceive us, what we should be doing is asking is this what God wants from us.

Lord, help me not to wonder how others perceive me. Help me to do things because You want me to do them, not to please others or appear to others in a certain way. Purify my thoughts and deeds. Amen.

6 comments:

Mary Brooke said...

Amen. Very nice. Mary Brooke

Beck said...

Beautifully written, again.
I don't want to worry unduly about what other people think about me, but I do worry that I'm coming across as insincere - or worse, kind of cold and standoffish. It's a hard balance.

Deanna said...

Thanks for putting to words what I have been thinking. I am usually a lurker here :0)
but I had to say thanks for this post. I have really been thinking that I need to only worry about what God thinks of me. I made it through all my teenager years without peer pressure to find myself in my thirties beginning to worry about what people think about me. I am going to take your advice and let me be who God wants me to be.

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

Yep. I do this too...thinking about other people's perceptions of me.

For instance, I had to ask the girls dance teacher to give us a week extra to make our monthly payment. She was very kind and gracious about it. (my husband ws off work for almost 3 weeks at Christmas with no pay). But then, I walked into class with a grande latte from Starbucks. What the teacher didn't know was I had used one of my Christmas presents--a g.c. to Starbucks--to buy the latte.

I felt like I needed to explain to her: "oh yea, see this latte? I got it with my gift card. MY GIFT CARD. You know, it was a FREE latte. I really can't make my dance payment until next week...sorry." I didn't say it, but I wanted to.

A week later, I'm still worried about that latte and how it made me look?

meredith said...

I found your blog through sara...Yes & Amen to this post! so beautifully put.

Terry said...

Wow! Thanks, Andrea.