Monday, February 04, 2008

1-2-3 Book meme

L.L. at the fabulous blog "Seedlings in Stone" tagged me with this book meme. And since I see her every Tuesday morning at my women's Bible study, and she teaches my 7 year old in a homeschool co-op class on that day (and does a fabulous job), I feel I have to comply. :) Since I see her face-to-face and all. But, no matter, it's a great meme. Actually, I'm thrilled you chose me, L.L. :)

Here are the "rules":

Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
Open the book to page 123.
Find the fifth sentence.
Post the next three sentences.
Tag five people.


So here goes:

The book: Last Child In the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv

The sentences: "A 1991 study of three generations of nine-year-olds found that, between 1970 and 1990, the radius around the home where children were allowed to roam on their own had shrunk to a ninth of what it had been in 1970. In the winter 2003 issue of "American Demographics" magazine, TNS Intersearch reported that 56 percent of today's parents say that by the time they were ten years old they were allowed to walk or bike to school. Today only 36 percent of those same parents say their own kids should be allowed similar freedoms."

Alrighty then. Some long sentences. Sounds like a good book, though, doesn't it? I actually rode my bike and walked to school by myself before age ten. Good times.

I tag:

Miriam
Christine
Terry
Aimee
Beverly

8 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

I wonder what the dynamics are around that change? Love the title of the book.

So I take it you have a general policy of not doing memes? I'm honored! :)

Andrea said...

L.L.
Only if I'm specifically asked. :)

L.L. Barkat said...

Sorry to see you weren't out today. I hope ya'll aren't sick...

AIMEE said...

Just saw this meme (which I have never done one of these before!) and can't wait to grab my book and do it! After some kids' homework, dinner, baths and all that jazz of course :)

I have been wanting to read that book for a while...might need to see if our library has it. I have often heard (and I think it's from that book?) that if fathers spent about 20 minutes every morning walking in nature with their sons that the "symptoms" of ADHD would DRASTICALLY reduce. Pretty amazing ...God's creation is healing, soothing, calming, and focusing. Very very awe-some!

Christine said...

Thanks, I haven't done this one. I'll do it this weekend. :)

Miriam said...

That sounds like a very interesting book! I'll try to get my memme up this afternoon. :)

Miriam said...

*meme* - I really must start rereading my comments *before* I post!

Beverly said...

I'll do this tonight! Looks like fun ;-)