Monday, February 11, 2008

Feeding our families


"The family dinner table represents the connection we have with each other...

"...Each person sitting at the table isn't there by accident, but is a God-given gift and a specific fit for your family..."
"...If I had the opportunity to give every woman on the planet a gift, it would be a vase of flowers for the middle of their dinner tables to remind them that this is a sacred place where their families are not only fed but are nurtured and loved--where heartstrings are tied and relationships realigned..."
~Leanne Ely




It's quotes like this that make me thankful for the dirty dishes at the end of a meal. (And fourteen-year-olds and husbands who take on the cleaning job most of the time. :) It's just another example of showing that the path to blessing isn't always easy. (I'm counting on that, anyway!) My family meal table is hardly perfect. It takes a lot of work to get a complete meal on the table amidst busy family life. Often there are sibling squabbles and bad manners, and not a whole lot of deep conversation and connections. But I'm counting on the fact that as I am faithful in doing the family meal table, night after night, that the good moments, the prayers, the time we do share, will be the ones most remembered. That it will be remembered as tradition and sacred.

If we only knew how much this short time of family life with young ones shapes their little world now and especially to come. When I think of my own childhood, I have so many memories and traditions that have helped shaped me. I look back on my childhood with nothing but fondness, and I hope the same for my children.
So, mothers, continue to create and cultivate your home life for your children's sake...it is indeed a sacred thing and a blessing to feed our families with all things good.

17 comments:

*jana* said...

My family had family dinners at least 5 nights out of the week when I was growing up. I am now 24 and over 1000 miles from "home".

I never realized--in the moment--how special and wonderful our family dinners were. My family is incredibly funny. There was always laughter at the table. I don't remember any of the conversation topics, but that doesn't really matter.

I don't even know how to put into words what they meant to me and do mean to me when I am able to go home. I am definitely proud and blessed to have parents who saw the value in it. Even when my brother, sister and I were busy with sports and other school or church events, we had family dinners.

Thanks for reminding me!

AIMEE said...

girl, it's scary sometimes how much we are thinkin' about the same stuff. I was just reading Leanne Ely yesterday...at Saving Dinner.com and was about to write a post on freezer meals to help us all get around the dinner table!!! Yes, ours is far from perfect...sometimes I feel like I am wolfing down my meal so that I can go get alone in the bathtub or to just sneak away for some alone time. We try to have some questions every night "best/worst thing of your day", "favorite colors", "favorite books" (we call this doing the "favorite game") and we always go youngest to oldest. It helps us know each other better and keep the conversation from turning into squabbling or too much silliness.

On My Mind said...

What a great reminder! I try very hard to prepare healthy, pretty, and budget-conscious meals for my small family at least five days of each week, but sometimes I need to be reminded WHY it's so important. Thank you...

Jaime

Andrea said...

Aimee,
All I can say is "Great Minds Think Alike". :)

I love the idea of the "favorites". We do that sometimes but not every night. A good reminder to focus on that more at the Family Table.

Courtney said...

LOVELY!

:..Rebekah..: said...

Oh, I love this post! So full of goodness, and wisdom, and encouragement. Wonderful quote by Leanne Ely.

Beck said...

This is a beautiful post and a great reminder to get my dining room table cleared off and back in use - thank you.

Sandy said...

Great, great post! And taking it a step further (in our home), I think about all the lives touched with extra kids hanging around. They are watching us and taking it all in ...
Great to visit you ...
Sandy

Terry said...

Great post, as usual, Andrea. Family meals really do provide wonderful opportunities for family connections.

kari jo said...

mmm...delicious post.
the repetition of it all
can take my eyes off the
vision for it all.

L.L. Barkat said...

A tribute to dirty dishes (sort of). Only you could pull that off. :)

Susan said...

Thank you for that post. Such a beautiful quote and important reminder.

Anonymous said...

Loved your post Andrea! Those dinner times are so special. Lately I have been thinking of how fast the time goes by, and how we need to all savor every moment! Give our love to your family!
Ami

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, just beautiful. This was so inspiring to me. It's a great reminder too of the importance of our sit-down time together...not to rush or get it over with. It's hard work! I love the pictures of the dishes...I'd like to do the same for my albums. Mary Brooke

Prairie Chick said...

Oh, your blog just thrills me! I have been working hard the past few months to make an inviting and beautiful table (not that it stays that way long once four little munchkins take their seat, but they're learning). I love your pictures and thoughts and am bookmarking your blog!

Goodlikeamedicine said...

Have you ever seen the video The Family Table with Nancy Campbell?

I really enjoyed it. She is just delightful, and the video gave me a lot to think about and be thankful concerning this topic. If you want it, I can mail my copy to you.

I love your pictures in this post... and I can't wait until mine are teenagers and can actually clear the table!! :)

tonia said...

I love this!

Thanks for the quotes, and the pictures are LOVELY!

Such a beautiful family.