Thursday, February 14, 2008

Handmade love


My goal has always been to try and make handmade Valentine's Day cards for my husband. Some years were more successful than others. The very first year, I made my own paper, and added rose petals to the pulp from some roses he had given me. Another year it was a folded pink construction paper heart with a quick scribble. Every year has not been handmade, but the sentiment is there.

Above is this year's card. On the back I pasted a poem by e.e. cummings: (along with some little love messages :)


i carry your heart with me 
by e. e. cummings

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

If you are looking for inspiration for making your own handmade Valentine's Day cards, take a look at this flickr group. (Via Black Eiffel)  A lot of great ideas!

Wishing you all a Happy Valentine's Day!

8 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Lovely, lovely card. And the poem is inspiring.

Beck said...

I make my sweetie cards, too. (and I used that e.e. cummings poem this year - thanks!)

AIMEE said...

beautiful, my dear! so romantic!

Beverly said...

sigh - how sweet!

Terry said...

Beautifully crafted card, Andrea! You did a great job. Very romantic AND creative.

Stacy said...

*love* the card. especially that cute little picture and the ribbon at the top! :)
you're so creative!
~stacy

Sarah said...

What a sweet card! Such creative tallent;). And love the poem. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I read you all the time but have been so neglegent in my commenting. Forgive me!
Sarah

sheep wanderer said...

I love that poem!!! At the moment since I'm unmarried I feel it talks of my love for my sister.

Good to see someone else appreciates it:-)

xx