Sunday, February 10, 2008

A simple faith

I think it's much easier to just have that simple faith. Abraham walked with the Lord and knew the Lord, but had no Bible to study, or a Christian bookstore nearby to get books on theology, he simply walked, talked, and learned with the Lord.

When I find myself getting wrapped up in issues of theology, and discussing them, I find most of the time, it's much easier to just say, "It's a mystery." That's not to say I dislike discussing theology, indeed I do, but in the end, what works best is a simple faith.

It's the faith of a child, the blinding eye and deaf ear, the mere holding on to His hand, (or His hem, whatever you are dealing with right now.)

To focus on the simple essentials: glorifying Him, loving Him, and doing what He commands.

My dear Martha, you are so upset over all these details! There is really only One thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it — and I won’t take it away from her. ~Luke 10:41-42, NLT

4 comments:

Dawn said...

This is so true. Learning to accept simple faith was what finally helped me deal with the pain of a miscarriage several years ago and it has really stuck with me. I like the Steven Curtis Chapman song that says "God is God and I am not, I can only see a part of the picture he's painted..."

Beck said...

One of my favorite quotes is: Faith is to believe what we do not see; and the reward of this faith is to see what we believe.
- Saint Aurelius Augustine

I don't think we CAN know all of the answers, but does that matter? Beautiful post.

Christine said...

This has been on my mind- the one thing since my post partum depression. Sometimes the details, and minutia, of the life of the church can suck you dry. I love your reference to Abraham.

AIMEE said...

Amen and amen. All of the Christian "voices" can make our relationships with Jesus confusing and exhausting. I always come back to loving Him and loving others as my mantra.