Sunday, March 02, 2008

Goals and habits, revisited


I keep meaning to post this, but haven't found the time. Last Monday, February 25th, I started the Happy Foody Green Smoothie Challenge. For almost a week, I have been drinking a green smoothie every day. Here are some of my other goals during this challenge:

~Drink a green smoothie every day.
~Eat a green salad every day.
~Exercise at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.
~Arise at 6 a.m. every morning and try to establish more of a quiet time before my day gets started.

I have been consistent in all of these goals except the exercise one. This will be my biggest challenge because I find running on the treadmill so boring. (Yes, I know there are more creative ways to exercise--this just happens to be the easiest option right now.)

Remember my Lists?
Well, I'm revising them. You can do that, you know. *smile*

I have to say I took the "Letters of John and Abigail Adams" off my reading list. I did start it, but it took so much energy from me to keep my interest that I just decided it wasn't the right book for me.

I am almost finished with John and Stasi Eldredge's book Captivating. I can't wait to share some things from this book. It is really good.

I have read two other books not on my book list. I am notorious for making a book list, and then going to the library and finding other books I want to read! But that's ok...these are still *my* rules. ;)

Give it Up: My year of learning to live better with less was an easy, quick read I found at the library. Unlike me, the author lived a fast paced New York City life and gave up many things which made her life more enjoyable. I found that although I would not have to necessarily give up what she gave up because they are not issues in my life, I did find that I could take what she learned and ask myself: what could I give up? So, although the book was not profound, it still made me revisit the issue of giving up more, which is always good. However, it's not a hard-core living simply book.

Right now I am reading Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster. This is a quick, enjoyable, informative read. It is basically about how luxury goods companies were once small, family-owned businesses dedicated to quality and tradition, and today they are all about multi-billion dollar global corporations. I just find the evolution fascinating. It tells a lot about our world and culture.

Anyway, if you are still here for my ramblings, congratulations! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go for the green drinks/salads. I buy some of those green drinks fresh at my farmer's market and wish we did more of that. Always trying to learn to live simply and purposely over here. Warmly, Mary Brooke in Atlanta

MondaythroughSunday said...

Great idea about GREEN...you may have to share your recipe for your green smoothie..:) I am looking forward to hearing your take on Captivating. I read it about a year ago and loved it!!

Terry said...

My tips for boring exercise:
1) If you can, get it done early. That keeps me from finding later in the day that I just don't have time.

2) My elliptical machine is in my garage, facing a little 13 inch tv. At 7, I watch the news for 30 minutes to catch up on what's happening in the world while I'm on it and its a great distraction from the fact that I am running and going nowhere!

What's in a "green smoothie"?

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I'm reading Peter Walsh's "Too Much Stuff" right now--how to live better with less. His purpose is not simplicity, per se, but he really is encouraging me to look at what I have and why I have it. I've gotten rid of a lot, but I know I can get rid of more (and think twice before I buy anything else!).

I think when I'm finished, I'm going to give it away on my blog, so stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

If you are interested in John & Abigail Adams, I would highly recommend David McCullough's "John Adams". It is lengthy, but reads like a novel! I loved every word! It is full of their letters too! I cried when I finished it. My dear hubby asked, "Why are you crying?" I sobbed, "..because he DIED!" Baffled, he replied, "Honey, he's been dead for a couple of hundred years. Were you surprised?" "No," I sobbed, "I just really, relly liked him." It's a great book!

Goodwife H.