Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Imperfection + Me + Christ = Perfection

I am always amazed at the paradoxes of the Christian life. Things like, "For whoever has a desire to keep his life will have it taken from him, but whoever gives up his life because of me, will keep it." (Luke 9:24) And, the "first-last" doctrine: "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."(Mark 9:35)

Why am I amazed? Our natural, carnal, flesh grabs on to things selfishly. There are natural reactions in life to selfishness. That is why a daily study of God's word is necessary to renew the mind, to get the proper, eternal perspective.

As I "renew my mind", I get a taste of what perfection is. Perfection is Christ. Therefore, I strive to be like Him, to emulate Him.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery says, "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Therefore, He chisels and molds me into who I truly am: a precious daughter of Christ, His beloved bride.
As human nature would have it, we are prone to take things to the extreme, expecting perfection in ourselves, working toward that goal, forgetting it is a progress, a journey, a road. 
And that God uses our imperfections to make all things perfect. What is the Cross for, if not for our inequities,  our imperfections? And what about His promise to "make all things good"?
And though I live out my imperfections daily in front of my children, could I not just accept that those imperfections in my life will make them perfect? To show the glory of God in this mother who fails perceptibly in perfection?
It's a piece of the puzzle, for sure. 

"This life is not a state of being righteous, but rather a growth of righteousness; not a state of being healthy, but a period of healing; not a state of being, but becoming; not a state of rest, but of exercise and activity. We are not yet what we shall be, but we grow toward it; The process is not yet finished, but it is still going on; This life is not the end, it is the way to a better. All does not yet shine with glory; nevertheless, all is being purified."
~Martin Luther

Related; must read: "To The Mom Who's Not Perfect"

7 comments:

Terry said...

I wish I was as eloquent as you are!!! This is what I so imperfectly(pun intended) tried to say today over at my blog: I'm not perfect, never will be, don't claim to be, but thank God I don't have to be because of Christ. I think I'm a little too brash, sometimes, but you capture the heart of the matter in such a beautiful way.

Flo said...

thank you for reminding us of our purpose as daughters of the KING. DH & I are currently going through a study, Called To Obedience. What a journey we have been on!

The whole process of renewing one's mind is purely out of obedience! AMAZING! We can only do this by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Again, thank you for posting this. I am saving you as a favorite blog!!

MondaythroughSunday said...

Beautiful post ~ thanks!

L.L. Barkat said...

I like the idea of perfection happening through a gradual "taking away". It reminds me of the Hebrew word for righteousness, "sedaqa" (sp?) which means straight. I've often picture myself as a nobbly, bent stick that needed to be molded in new directions, sloughed off on certain sides. This is a "taking away" that eventually makes us like the Sadiq himself, the All-Righteous One. Jesus.

Andrea said...

L.L.--
Yes!
That's why I like that quote: It reminded me of Him chiseling parts of me to make a perfect statue out of a piece of wood (or stone.) He takes away what is not perfect to reveal perfection.

Sandy said...

Life ... forgetting that it is a process, a journey, a road!

So true Andrea! This post is perfect for women to read, including myself.

Happy Easter!

Cloverland Farm said...

Hi Andrea!
Betsy told me about your blog the other night. So fun to catch up w/ you in this way. Your words are an encouragement! Did you know we are adopting from Ethiopia?! :)
xo
Laura