Friday, March 07, 2008

A week of breakfasts: Friday

Nope, it's not a misprint. Oatmeal is so delicious, so good for you, so easy on the breakfast budget, and can be made so many different ways. For those reasons, I serve it again on Fridays. Doing it that way gives me a few days in between, so you are less likely to hear-
"Oatmeal again?"
 If I want to serve a quicker breakfast on Fridays, then I'll serve yogurt and "crunchies" again. If I want to mix up the oatmeal menu even more, I'll make a smoothie to go along with it.
 (Some smoothie recipes here.) Remember, you can use rolled oats, steel- cut oats or whole oats to make oatmeal. This varies the texture, and depending on how you make it, the taste.  My children's favorite way to eat oatmeal is rolled oats with a little brown sugar. They also like a little cinnamon in it. And don't forget the flax seed!
All right, I think I've talked about oatmeal enough! *smile*
Stay tuned for one more day of breakfasts. The grand Saturday morning family breakfast: can't wait!

9 comments:

Monica said...

This series has been great. I made the Creamy Oatmeal recipe and LOVED it!! In fact I'm going to reheat some this morning to eat.

Llama Momma said...

I love to cook oatmeal with grated apples and cinnamon.

This is by far our favorite breakfast! (And as an added benefit, it sticks to the toddlers spoon and makes it easier for him to feed himself!)

LOVE this breakfast series. Thank you!

AIMEE said...

your oatmeal is pretty! I like making baked oatmeal and then the kids munch on it throughout the day which provides an inexpensive snack for us.

Miriam said...

Hi, Andrea. I've been enjoying these breakfast posts and look forward to trying some of your recipes! I especially want to make the pancake mix... I've always just used store-bought, but this looks nice and simple (I like simple!). And I have to confess I don't even know what grits are - I've always wondered. Maybe I'll go google that now. Thanks for sharing, and hope all is well with you, friend!

MondaythroughSunday said...

I have really enjoyed this series! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Terry said...

I was a little thrown when I first opened up your page and saw the same picture again- until I started to read. Who says you can't have oatmeal more than once? Like you've said, it's nutritious and versatile.

Jerusha said...

I agree this has been a great series. I'm hoping you'll do one on lunch!

Jen said...

Yum! I need to try the walnuts and bananas. I love seeing all the healthy breakfast ideas. I'm not a morning person, so breakfast is hard for me to get excited about, but you inspire me!

Los Cannon said...

We LOVE baked oatmeal in this house - we've added apples and cinnamon or raisins and tried different types of oats which give it a totally different type of texture and taste. I'm definitely going to try your other recipes for oatmeal! Yummy!

I just came across your blog today and I must say, I love it! As a missionary mom, future home-schooler, and homemaker, I love it when I find people who are an inspiration and encouragement to me in this special role...and you are!

--Rebecca