Thursday, March 06, 2008

A week of breakfasts: Thursday

Here's what's Good: Organic, free-range eggs from the health food store.
Here's what's Better: Organic, free-range eggs from my daughters' dance teacher's chickens. (Yes, I wrote that right..) Or from our Amish farmer Abner. :)
But here's what's Best: Organic, free-range eggs from my own chickens from my own yard....hey...a girl can dream, right?
As you can tell, our eggs come from the places listed in the "Good" and "Better" sections. But I am hoping one day for my own little set of laying chickens. 
In the meantime, Thursday is our Egg day. Let me just ask you--have you ever had grits? Most people may not know or even like grits if they are not from the South. Grits are delicious with eggs. My favorite way to eat them is an over-easy egg on top of buttery, creamy, salty grits. Yummy yum! 
Eggs can be fried, scrambled, boiled.  In a tortilla with cheese. On toast. In a casserole. An omelet. Mix up the way you prepare them so it doesn't get boring.  Thursdays=Egg Day!

10 comments:

AIMEE said...

My sweet Southern kindred spirit!! I love me some grits with my eggs...delish!!! I want laying hens too!!!! Right now I get our eggs local from a fellow mama in our small group from church...which is great b/c i have "met" the chickens and love her. But I would love my own too!

Anna said...

I just wanted to let you know how much I have been enjoying your breakfast series. Will you be doing a lunch series?

Llama Momma said...

I've never tried grits.

Eggs, though, are a staple around here!!

Anonymous said...

YUM! I agree. This is a great motivator to cook these for breakfast during the week. Mary Brooke

Terry said...

Yes, Andrea, I looove grits: with eggs that have been scrambled with a bit of cheese. And fresh squeezed OJ. For those of you NOT of southern heritage, you have to try them at least once!

Simple Family Supper lady said...

We have CHICKENS!!! I love going out and collecting them... beautiful and yummy! I am from Indiana, but we lived in the south for a few years of my childhood and were exposed to grits....LOVE them!!!!

Marybeth said...

Am loving this-- you are inspiring me to break away from the cold cereal that graces our breakfast table on most mornings. Can't wait to see what's on finale Friday!

I did make chocolate chip banana bread for our breakfast tomorrow-- not exactly nutritious, but my kiddos love it!

Rain said...

I'm really enjoying your breakfast series. Do you have a good recipe for grits? I'm a northerner and have never had the pleasure.

Rain

Goodlikeamedicine said...

Have I ever had grits??!! You KNOW I have! haha!

MMMmmmmm - it's 8 am, my husband's day off, kids just woke up, and we haven't eaten yet! You're killing me! :)

L.L. Barkat said...

I love your dream. :)