Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A week of breakfasts: Wednesday

Great A, little A,
This is Pancake Day!
~Mother Goose rhyme

Yes, Wednesdays are Pancake Day! If I don't make pancakes, I will make some sort of muffin.  My favorite recipe for making pancakes is Buttermilk pancakes:

2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 large eggs
2 1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. melted butter

The key to fluffy pancakes is to not over mix the batter. Lumpy is good. I usually end up adding a little water to this mixture, for I like it a tad thinner than this recipe calls for. They are delicious.

There are endless pancake recipes. (Just look in your church's cookbook compilation ;) One I like to use is Pumpkin pancakes. A good way to sneak a vegetable in your child's breakfast:

1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 T. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs, separated
1 c. milk (you can use buttermilk)
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
2 T. oil

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in one bowl. In another bowl, whisk egg yolks, milk, pumpkin, and oil. Combine both bowls until just moist. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, fold into batter. Pour batter by 1/4 cup onto hot greased griddle. Turn when bubbles appear and edges look cooked.

It goes without saying that the best pancakes are served with maple syrup. *smile*

As I said earlier, if I don't make pancakes, I will make muffins. A couple of favorite muffin recipes I use:


Wanna hear me wax poetic about pancakes? Read here.

Wanna know why making your own pancake mix is the better option? Read this.

6 comments:

Beck said...

Pumpkin pancakes are one of our favorites, too! We also love gingerbread pancakes with fresh applesauce...

MondaythroughSunday said...

What wonderful looking recipes ~ thank you! I will have to try the Pumpkin pancakes..they sound awesome!

ibdawnk said...

I don't even know how I stumbled onto your blog but I am so glad I did. I was just looking for good healthy breakfasts for my kids. I just hate to send them to school with junk in their system. I am glad to have your healthy recipes so I can send them off to school with their immmune system in tact. :) Thanks a lot...looking forward to the next few days of breakfasts.

tonia said...

buttermilk pancakes are my favorite...

so far, we make the same exact things for breakfast. you know what that means, andrea: yep. great minds again.

Andrea said...

Tonia--don't you know it!!

Elise said...

Yummy! We have pancakes twice a week- Wednesday, Daddy's day off, and Saturday. Buttermilk pancakes (fat and fluffy) are my favorite!

(Did you know that flax meal can replace the fats or eggs in some recipes? I mix 2 tbsp. flax meal with 6 tbsp. water to replace the two eggs in my double batch of whole wheat blueberry pancakes- and you can't even tell! The baking powder still keeps them fluffy! And the kids still ask for seconds and (Micah)thirds. Just fyi...)