Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Silence at night brings joy in the morning

Tonight I'm on my bed, as usual, replaying sins and incidences during the day I wish I had handled better.  Today was chock-full, and preparing dinner and baths just about drew me over the edge. I spoke some unkind words and used unkind tones to my children and husband tonight. Forgive me, Lord.
Again, in times like these, my heart turns to a verse I frequently visit in my mind:
I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.

 I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.

 Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:

 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.

They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
~Lamentations 3:19-23
Tonight I also looked at Psalm 4.
It's often referred to as an "Evening Prayer". I know, for me, that night time is where I feel most regretful, most sorry for sins committed throughout the day. I can come to Him to be fully cleansed, knowing that in the morning, there is joy, there is hope, in starting a new day. A clean slate, if you will. All this is necessary in the fight for joy.
In my bed, at night, I "search my heart, and am silent", as the Psalmist David says in Psalm 4.
This way, "in peace, I will lie down and sleep, for He alone is my safety."

11 comments:

kristin said...

Thank you so much for sharing that. I can't tell you how much I needed that today...

April said...

Beautiful. Thank you!

Ann Kroeker said...

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail."

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed.

Beautifully described, that feeling, lying there and feeling utterly consumed by my sins, committed and omitted, small and large.

Your honesty and openness is refreshing and encouraging for all of us who share the title "sinners in need of a Savior."

:..Rebekah..: said...

Andrea,
I can completely relate to what you've written. It encourages me and comforts me as you share your heart, and I'm reminded that we all have the same struggles as David expressed in the book of Psalms. He was a king and a man after God's own heart, yet he sinned and felt sorrowful just as we do. He cried out to God and was cleansed and forgiven just as we are. I know God must be blessed by your tender heart. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I love learning from you Lamentations 3 and Psalm 4. The evenings can be so tough. My husband gets home close to bedtime. I love something Anna Quindlen wrote about her little childrens' routine (paraphrased) "Dinner, bath, book, bed....I wish I had enjoyed the *doing* and not just the *getting done*".

You are an inspiration to me in the way the Psalmist says: "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom" Psalm 90:12
Mary Brooke

Monica said...

Thanks for encouraging me to keep quiet at night praying, watching and waiting.

kari jo said...

oh, amen, friend.
amen.

Jen said...

Just what I needed to hear right now. I am about 7 weeks pregnant with #4, and I've been so short- tempered, tired, and cranky. My older girls have been feeling the brunt of it, and I feel so badly about it. I need to spend time each morning and night in the Scripture and in prayer. I want to enjoy this time, not look back with regret.
Thanks,
Jen

Goodlikeamedicine said...

(Jen, I am 24 weeks with #4 and have been the same way!!!) :)

Andrea, I totally agree and appreciate everything you wrote here... it also reminds me, though, of something Nancy Wilson wrote a few years back that warned people *like me* against too much self-evaluation late at night.

http://www.credenda.org/issues/7-6femina.php

I know your post was not about the sin of continuing to dwell and look inside but the hope of looking up to Christ... but I thought you could read and certainly relate and be encouraged once more!
Blessings to you! :)

Andrea said...

Kristi,
That article was really great, thank you for sharing.
I think I wrote this post on "one of those days". I do tend to be more introspective than need be on days that are full and am I am tired. I will remember some things in this article on days (nights) like that.
Thank you!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

I tend to be introspective when I've totally blown it, but I think that's a good thing if it leads us to cling to Him more. I need Him every hour.