Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Sparrows

Do you remember the Northeast blackout of 2003? 9-11 was still pretty fresh in my mind at that time, and I was a little freaked out by it, since my husband was working in New York City at the time. I had to drive down later that night and meet him at a place outside of the city. He had managed to grab a ride home with someone since the trains were not working at the time.
It was scary, driving down the interstate, no lights anywhere, my babies quiet in the backseat. I happened to catch a glimpse of a mama deer and her babies on the side of the road, my headlights flashing into their eyes. They gave me comfort, knowing the Lord was taking care of these animals, and realizing how much more He was taking care of me:
Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. (Luke 12:6-7)

Now's the time where Spring is finally making its way into my backyard. I love listening to the birds chirp early in the morning. I just stepped out at dusk to take these pictures, and they were still singing their songs in those trees. Beauty.
It's also nice to see our old friends visit us: the plumpy doves, the black crows, the robins...the sparrows. It's good to see them make their way back, through the Lord's loving hand.
This year, the robins who usually make a nest in the wreath on my door, have not done so. I think the Lord directed them to a safer place. I hope so.

(the view from my deck: you can see the Hudson River in the background)

Our lives hold much unknown. Though we may feel secure today, it could be gone tomorrow. This should not concern us, but free us: just like the birds, we are in His hands...He guides us, leads us, and finds us safer places. I do not know what my future holds at this point in my life. But I know He does, and so I find comfort in that thought.
Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young- a place near your altar, O Lord Almighty, my King and my God. (Psalm 84:3)

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Beautiful wisdom, Andrea.

:..Rebekah..: said...

What comforting words. Thank you.

Miriam said...

So beautiful, Andrea. And comforting. I am so happy that the birds are back and singing around here, too. Such a gift in the midst of the craziness of life.

Beverly said...

Sigh. That was beautiful. What a safety we have in our heavenly Father.

Susan Mallett said...

What about the persecuted church? Many are not in a safe place. Many have to suffer and die here on earth to get to their safe place. Us Westerners are so spoiled by our comforts! Praise the Lord that you are blooming where you're planted and that you are thankful. Your physical blessings could change in a moment - but God's love towards you never will. Our safety is not measured by our circumstances.
In Him,
Susan

Andrea said...

Susan,
You are so right. We often have this myth of safety, especially if we are not in dire circumstances, but only wrestling with anxious thoughts or discontent.
Thank you for your reminder and comment.