Thursday, May 29, 2008

Detours

In a family with four children, and a husband who commutes and works long hours, I am frequently repeating to myself: "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." (Proverbs 16:9) Direct my steps, Lord. And I try to trust Him to do so.
For, you see, I am a planner. I'm not sayin' I get it all done, but I sure like to plan like I do.
And, honestly, I have to be, with the large responsibilities looming in front of me. There's just no other way of living, and no other options.
But the loophole is: God directs my steps.
Part of following Jesus is dying to self, to dreams, to expectations--in a Godly way--in order to give Him glory, to take up His cross and follow Him, according to His plan.
Instead of seeing the detours as a disruption to my plan, I am learning to see them as God's timing,  His way, His providence. Easier said than done. As most things are.
A sign on the ocean shore gives instructions should you ever be caught in a riptide:  "Remain calm. Swim with the current, parallel to the shoreline, until you are safely away from the tide. Then swim to shore."
What's that first sentence?
Remain calm?
Oh yes.
I am striving, with God's help, to make that my first reaction.
Not working to plan? Well, it's God's plan working. Just be calm.
Swimming with the current.  Letting His way take precedence...joyfully and full of trust.
Trust Me. The ride will be over soon. And this way is better.
So I wait. And sigh. And He builds patience. And I try to swim with the tide in these detours of life. 

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. ~2 Peter: 1-5-11

6 comments:

Sara said...

What a wonderful reminder! I love your riptide warning comparison :) We've seen a lot of those signs on our journey, and now when I see them, I will remember to ride the waves of life with Jesus!

Carrie at dumptrucksandteacups said...

What a beautiful post. As hard as it can be at times, the Lord knows what He is doing. We just have to trust - it helps when we fully believe that we serve a good God!

I love your sentence - trust Me... this way is better.
So, so true. Lord, help us to believe.

Prairie Chick said...

Wow, powerful words and powerful imagery. This will stay with me.

Beck said...

I read this first thing this morning, Andrea, and it stayed with me all day like a calm blue sky. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Just what I needed to hear! Thanks. Rebecca

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

My favorite is along the same lines--

"Teach me to number my days aright, that I might gain a heart of wisdom."