Thursday, May 01, 2008

Googling God

I know it's bad theology, but sometimes I wish I could just google answers to big life questions that I have.  I lay in bed at night sometimes,  agonizing over the "what ifs" and "what will be's". I wish I could whip my laptop open, there in the bed, and google to God my questions. I feel like I would have much more peace if I could see the way more clearly.

But, of course, we know that is not how our Lord works.  As a Christian, we should strive to obey so that we can walk in patience, quiet, and cheerfulness as a Christian should. C.H. Spurgeon says, "When a man is anxious, he cannot pray with faith. When he is troubled about the world, he cannot serve his Master; his thoughts are serving himself." Our work is to obey, not to fret.

"Googling God" is just another way for us humans to say: I don't want to work. I don't want to obey. I want the knowledge of good and evil so that Your creativeness in dealing with us can't be done.

This walk we are on is a faith walk, a mercy walk, a grace walk. Step by step and measure by measure we are given these things. Trust and obey, when there's no other way--the old hymn says. That's way better than googling God. Now I just have to convince myself. :)

Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. ~Psalm 55:22

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Googling God? How clever! I found this verse this morning...love it...“Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose hope is the Lord. He is like a tree planted beside the water that stretches out its roots to the stream: It fears not the heat when it comes, its leaves stay green; in the year of the drought it shows no distress, but still bears fruit.”
Jeremiah 17: 7- 8

Christine said...

You are wise Andrea! I have had many times this past year when knowing the answers would make it so much easier. Being faithful in the face of trials is no easy task!

Terry said...

I often have to remind myself that faith is only faith in the presence of unanswered questions. If the path was laid bare before me, I wouldn't need faith, now would I? Great post.

Regina Clare Jane said...

I am here following a link from Peggy's Simple Woman site... you have a lovely and inspiring blog.
I really needed to read your words this morning- I have been going through a "transition" in my relationship with God and it is this trusting and obeying that is showing up for me in all sorts of situations... so, I appreciate your kind and wise words.
Blessings,
Regina
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/clotheslinepoet/

Miriam said...

Mmm - I really appreciate your thoughts here, Andrea. It's such a neat concept that trusting in the Lord is linked with letting His creativity be at work in our lives. So much to chew on... thanks, friend.

MacCárthaigh Family said...

Good post there. It's very good to be reminded that it is God and not us that keeps things moving...
Thanks.
Ruth