Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Becoming like Jesus?

There's this story that's gone through my emails a few times. I get a laugh out of it everytime I read it:
A mother was preparing pancakes for her sons, Kevin 5, and Ryan 3.
The boys began to argue over who would get the first pancake.
Their mother saw the opportunity for a moral lesson. 
"If Jesus were sitting here, He would say,
'Let my brother have the first pancake, I can wait.' "
Kevin turned to his younger brother and said,
" Ryan , you be Jesus !"
Be Jesus?
Live out His will?
Don't we so often imagine ideals and imagine doing what He would have us do....
But isn't it so hard to actually do them?

Put my house up for sale and pursue a dream? Yeah, let's do it!!
Scrimp and save for that dream? Oh, absolutely.
Homeschool my kids? You betcha!
Serve like Jesus did? Well, Amen!

It also makes me think of this quote from Anne Shirley in Anne of Green Gables:
It's all very well to read about sorrows and imagine yourself living through them heroically, but it's not so nice when you really come to have them, is it?

But as I live my life and my struggles and ideals are matched with His Word,  and I can actually live out these things because of His Word, I am reminded of the very first verse in the book of John where it says:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
And I see that I really am being chiseled into His image.
That I am living, breathing, becoming the Word, day by day.
And slowly, becoming......like Jesus.

6 comments:

Terry said...

Loove the pancake story! Thruth wrapped in humor is often the best kind.

Our God is awesome indeed!

P.S. He loves you... said...

Good one..

MarySue said...

Thank you for your continuing inspiration...just like our Savior.

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh yeah. Yup. Yes. I can relate. :)

Mercy, Matzoh, Mac&Cheese said...

wow...thank you for this! I've looked at your blog a few times and I believe we have quite a lot in common! Thanks for the reminder that in the mundane tasks of our everyday life, we are being molded into His image. It gives me hope and purpose.

EEEEMommy said...

I haven't stopped by in a while though your blog name has been in bold on my site reader for quite some time. After reading this post I can't help but think, what took me so long? :)

Grace and Peace,
Angel