Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Broom (Revisited)



Thank you, God.
For my place.
Under your great and gracious skies.
For a house, a tree, a swing.
For beauty that is small and precious.

I praise You,
For You are the Giver
Of all good things.

You bring into my life
Each day,
A task that is as humble as a broom.
You say--Sweep!

There is a friend to be listened to...
A card to be sent,
A home to be cared for.

Sometimes,
I sweep dust
Into my own face.
I could just cry.
I feel so clumsy, so ordinary,
So unfit for Your Holy calling.

But when I get tired
You take away my broom,
And You sit me down
On a bench,
For a drink of lemonade.

I realize that I haven't minded the job.
There are golden glints in the straw.

Soon, I'm ready to sweep again.
With hands that are more tender
And a heart that is more willing to be taught.

I praise You, Lord,
Suffering servant, and victorious King,
For the privilege of taking
Even one stroke...
With my broom.

~Anon.

"And He said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." ~Luke 9:23

I revisit this poem so often in my mind. I needed to repost it for a little boost during this busy season in my life. I hope it blesses you again and again, too.

5 comments:

Susan L said...

Ah, now that is a nice way to start the day! Both the picture and the poem are inspiring to me this morning. A nice little nudge in a good direction.

Thanks, Andrea!
Susan

Carrie at dumptrucksandteacups said...

That is beautiful - thanks for sharing it!

Love, Carrie

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Love it--love the part about sweeping dust into my own eye.

Kristy said...

What a beautiful reminder... thanks for the encouragement.

~Kristy @ Homemaker's Cottage

:..Rebekah..: said...

What a great poem. It warms my heart to read it because it's so full of truth and so encouraging.