Thursday, June 26, 2008

A clean heart helps

While packing up your family of 4 children for a vacation, you need prayer, but you also need an extra pair of hands to take your children out of the home so you can get something done. These times are stressful for me: I find myself becoming the mother I said I'd never be: a witch. It's bad when your 2 year old calls you a "mean witch." Oops.

While hands and prayer are certainly helpful, they are not always readily available. At least in my case. What I wouldn't give to be able to drop my kids off at my mother's so I can "get something done." But, in this situation, a clean heart works best. Busy and stressful mamas need to be in the Word and prayer to get that "clean heart", so our sin doesn't make us "mean witches." (I think they've watched "Wizard of Oz" too many times.)

Psalm 51 speaks very clearly about what God does:


Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.


Ah. I feel better, don't you? Now, I am really off to keep those balls juggling in the air!! See you in a bit.

This is a good version by Keith Green. Play it while you are packing. Ha.

9 comments:

Prairie Chick said...

I just laughed out loud. I'm supposed to be packing. The baby is crying (inconsolably, so I'm just letting him cry) the older kids are tearing the rooms I am supposed to be cleaning apart, and I just sat down here with my eyes glazed over to read this post (read procrastinate). Too funny. Thanks Andrea.

Kristy said...

I love this post- girl, it sounded like I was reading about myself (you know, the witch part- ha!). :o) My husband and I live hours away from either of our families too, and sometimes solo parenting can be a lonely and trying job!! Thanks for sharing your heart.

~Kristy @ Homemaker's Cottage

no treasures on earth said...

andrea;

we tend to become that way when we need to accomplish so much in so little time. I also feel that way - I wish mom lived fairly close and I'll drop off the kids for a bit. But this is not to be - so what do we do?

we pray, we breathe deeply and then we continue with our tasks.

Here is to wishing you a great vacation!

mari

Anonymous said...

I won't hold my breath for a brilliant post on stress-free packing. It may be impossible with kids no matter how organized you are. I dread packing up more than anything and no surprize, my kids loathe it too! My favourite line from a packing day--my son to his 2yr.old sister, "Don't worry Patti, Daddy will be nice to you". I should have whipped out the Psalms at that point but didn't...thanks for the perspective.

Jodi said...

Mmmm...those are life giving words. I do feel better! Thanks, Andrea.

daisyeyes said...

something to be reminded of daily. what a difference your day can be when we look to the Father instead of our "to do" list first. I'm so guilty of just passing over Him and onto my list.

payton said...

i am feeling your pain. i'm sure my kids are on the mean witch train more often than i care to admit. hang in there!

Melissa said...

Andrea,
So nice to 'meet' you too. Thanks for visiting my blog. I have actually visited yours before and was so pleased to see it again. I really enjoy your insights and sense of humor. I have a 3 yo who is obsessed with the Wizard of Oz right now. I'm sure 'mean ol' mom' could pass for the bad witch on a bad day!!!! Yikes!

So glad Jovanna connected us. She's a sweetheart and I'm blessed to know her.

karijo said...

wish i was closer to
scoop up your kiddos
and take them out for a
run so you could
get it all done.

but i know you'll get it
all done anyway.

love,
kj