Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Extraordinary Quinoa Tabbouleh

My husband is not a Tabbouleh salad lover, but I made this dish last night to accompany our tofu tacos, and he had a few servings! I guess he liked it! Frankly, after enduring almost 100 degree temperatures here since Saturday (with the help of central air, baby pools, and cheap kids' sprinklers) I was wanting a "hot weather" dish. This cured that craving:

Extraordinary Quinoa ("Keen-wa") Tabbouleh
(from The Garden of Vegan-modified by me somewhat)

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 cup seedless cucumber, chopped
3 stalks green onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, shredded
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 T. Braggs liquid aminos

In a medium saucepan, stir together the quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until cooked. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool. In a large bowl, combine cucumber, green onions, carrots, garlic, oil, lemon juice, Braggs, and quinoa. Mix well and cool in refrigerator. Serve chilled.

9 comments:

Elise said...

Yes, this sounds like something that only Eliana and I would enjoy... but that won't stop me! It looks delicious- thanks for sharing!

tonia said...

yum! thank you! i just bought 5 pounds of quinoa, so i'm up for all kinds of good recipes. :)

P.S. He loves you... said...

Ok so you have mentioned Sabbath on one post and tofu in on another and I believe I read in here some where you don't eat pork or beef?

Are you by chance a Adventist in your faith because I am and it sounds all to familar,
just curious?

Andrea said...

P.S.,
No, we are not Seventh Day Adventist...
For the record, we are Bible believin' evangelical Christians. :) (in case anyone else was curious!)
But is *is* interesting you picked up on all that and made a connection!

The Arnold Family said...

Something about salad on a hot summer day! Hits the spot.

Susan L said...

Oh, this sounds great! Thanks for the recipe. I love quinoa.

Susan

Beck said...

This recipe sounds so yummy that I've made it for supper tonight!

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I know--so hot! It was nicer today, but it's still a bit muggy

Okay, it's just like Beck to just whip up some tabbouleh salad after reading a recipe.

wholefoodsfamily.wordpress.com said...

Oh, yum! I make a similar tabbouleh, only I add lots of finely chopped parsley for some more "green" power. You're right... it's the perfect dish on a hot day!

Jaime