Saturday, June 21, 2008

Weekend reads and ramblings

I've been feeling "burnt-out" lately. I don't know if it's because I'm taking on my "own yoke" and "not Jesus' yoke", or because of sentiments like these expressed at this fabulous website:

"In short: to be your children's primary caretaker is the most natural thing in the world; but to be alone with your children in a house all day, every day where you are the sole person available to provide for their safety, nutrition and entertainment, is totally unnatural. It tests the limits of psychological endurance."
.
Uh, yeah. What that said. (ht: Amy)

I'm not complainin', but y'all, sometimes it gets real hard, this mothering thing. And, yeah, maybe I can get eloquent about "season's of a mother's life" and what-not on this blog, but sometimes, I'll just say.....I want to get away!!!

But, please. We know that doesn't solve part of this mothering thing being hard,  but as my sweet friend Betsy (shout out!) told me: Sometimes you just need to get away to meditate and come back refreshed. So, I did. That is to say, I am now.

 Tonight, I went to Radio City Music Hall to see My Morning Jacket with my husband. A few thoughts:
1. There was a lot of smoke there. (not cigarettes.)
2. I put my gum under the seat on Row L seat 502. I am totally *not* that kind of person, but if you are ever at Radio City, and are interested in seeing my gum, that's where it is!!
3. I felt really old at this concert.
4. There were a lot of "soccer moms" jammin' out there. (It was a little freaky.)
5. Now I'm in a hotel room with my husband.
6. Yeah, time to get off the computer. (you brought your laptop? yep. I did.)

And tomorrow? I get a massage!!
Don't be jealous. (I always get jealous of people getting massages!) This is so *Not* my life!!! But it is fun every once in awhile!!

Have a fabulous weekend, dear readers!

13 comments:

Llama Momma said...

Oh how wonderful! Be refreshed, weary one!

Carrie at dumptrucksandteacups said...

Praying you have a restful, refreshing night away!! I think we all need those sometimes. :)

Love to you,
Carrie

Carrie at dumptrucksandteacups said...

Andrea,
Have you seen Sally Clarkson's blog? She has a great post right now - an ode to tired mamas - it is so, so good! http://wholeheart.typepad.com/itakejoy/
I think I might print it off and save it.

Just was thinking of you!
Carrie

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Sounds great!!

Stacy said...

Andrea,
I think we could all say an amen to the "sometimes I want to get away!" feeling! I sure can.

Sounds like a great getting-away weekend.

Enjoy it.

~Stacy

Jaime said...

I agree--it does get 'real hard' sometimes, and I only have two kids so far! But I hope you enjoy your time away. Maybe it will seem 'less hard' when you get back :)

Kristy said...

Boy, can I relate to the 'real hard' part of mothering just now... we have a 4 yr old, 2 yr old, and a 6 week old. Any tips for a nursing mama who can't even get away for a weekend?? ;o)

Thanks for sharing... your honesty is refreshing. It's good to know other mamas need a break too sometimes!

~Kristy @ Homemaker's Cottage

Anonymous said...

Andrea, Glad you're "just doing it" and getting some refreshment. I like reliving the memories too as part of the experience. Mary Brooke in Atlanta

Anonymous said...

If you can't go hard don't go at all...thats what I have to say about your MMJ rant.
One of the most anticipated shows of the year and you do nothing but complain.
I got an idea...next time, stay at your hotel and give the ticket to someone who wants it?

Beck said...

It sounds like a fun weekend (nice, anonymous) - I hope you're feeling refreshed and better now.

betsy Norwood said...

Hey girl- what a FUN weekend. So glad you got to get away and be refreshed, especially with the help of a fab hubby.
I understand the *hard* part of mothering, not to your extent, obviously, but I wouldn't be able to do it without my community. I think that's why I love my urban city living so much. I have so many mama's that can pick up the slack when I'm feeling overwhelmed. My hugs are not as good as your moms but just know that I'm always 40 minutes away :))
Love you,
Betsy

Andrea said...

Anonymous..
Not whining, just observing. The "Most anticipated show of the year" was great. I never said it wasn't. Sheesh.

TheFiveDays said...

I'm with ya! And YES I am jealous of the massage! I hope it was blissful... :)