Sunday, July 06, 2008

Summer reading

Reading:
Notes on a Life by Eleanor Coppola
A memoir/journal by the wife of the famed director Francis Ford Coppola. A gentle, creative soul who has amazing perceptions and recollections of her life with her three children and the famous director. I am pleasantly surprised at how much I am enjoying it. I really love how she is constantly working it out in her mind how to weave a creative life but yet still care for a husband and children amidst struggles, tragedies, and travels. Very entertaining and interesting.

For the Children's Sake  An annual read. Still reading it.

To read:
Middlemarch. Recommended by my mother-in-law who is a voracious reader.

Past summer reading recommends here and here.

Reading anything that "wow's" you this summer? Please share!!

7 comments:

charlotte carroll said...

Ooooh, I love reading lists!
Well, per your (and my mother's) recommendation, I am in the middle of For The Children's Sake and LOVING it!
Also, the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon is incredible. Impossible for me to even verbalize how amazing those books are.
Also, Mitten Strings for God by Katrina Kennison and Gifts from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. And Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes. Those three I reread every summer.
I am also enjoying Foods for the Simple Life.
I am about to start the Charlotte Mason Books. Oh, I am also reading The Long Fatal Love Chase, by Louisa May Alcott, and that is good too.

laurel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laurel said...

That last comment was from me...for some reason, my friend Charlotte was logged in to my computer and I didn't notice. :)
Oh, and I think it is Good Foods for the Simple Life...can't remember the exact title at the moment.

Miriam said...

Hi Andrea, I really enjoyed Middlemarch when I read it... I've thought it's one I'd like to pick up again sometime.

Have you read Gilead by Marilynne Robinson? It won the Pulitzer Prize a few years back. Just stunningly beautiful, pages dripping with grace.

Stacy said...

Andrea,
I just finished God's Smuggler (Brother Andrew). LOVED it. I can't believe I'd never read it.

~Stacy

Wendy said...

No new recs, but Middlemarch is one of my all-time favorite books! Definitely a must-read. I'm really enjoying your blog, by the way...thanks for sharing your thoughts and wisdom.

wholefoodsfamily.wordpress.com said...

I read "For the Children's Sake" after your recommendation- oh my, was it LAST year? Have I been reading you that long?! Loved the book. I plan to read it again as well.