Monday, July 07, 2008

a weaned child

It seems fitting that as a writer of a blog entitled "The Flourishing Mother", that I should have a post  sometime, somewhere, entitled  "A weaned child". Sadly,  I have many weaned children. ~smile~
Lately, I've been feeling like I need to become a weaned child myself.
Psalm 131 says in beautiful imagery:
My heart is not proud, O LORD,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.
But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
As a mother to four children, I do concern myself with great and HUGE matters. But these matters are the Lord's, not mine. (Now, how do I *live* like that?) It is times like now where I feel squeezed into circumstances which force me to quiet my soul against my heavenly Father. Your will not mine, Lord. That sort of thing. I am forced to wean. That doesn't sound pretty. It isn't! I held a newborn baby today, and breathed deep that milky, soft, yummy smell. I loved it. And this was not even my baby! I try to think how the Lord Jesus wants us to be still and quiet against Him, although He nourishes/ed us like a mother completely nourishes and cares for her child. Now we must walk still and quiet like a weaned child against Him. That's tough.
Weeks and months like these I don't want to be an adult. Or a weaned child. Someone please make all the decisions for me! I don't want the responsibility!
But I do have Someone like that.
I just need to not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. I need to still and quiet my soul with my Lord.

8 comments:

Terry said...

What a grace-filled post. And isn't it a relief to trust those "huge matters" to the Lord>

Goodlikeamedicine said...

I love, love Psalm 131! This is my heart as well...

Have you ever heard Waterdeep's old song about this? It's so good...

Betsy Norwood said...

Andrea- this might be my most favorite post of yours. What a beautiful picture you created for us. I love your struggle as I am right there with you. Thanking our sweet Savior that He is directing our paths just as He intended.

Carrie said...

Well said, Andrea!
And thank you so kindly for your 2
books that you sent me..

Carrie at dumptrucksandteacups said...

beautiful post, my friend... I want drink in the peace that comes from being still.

L.L. Barkat said...

Weaned. It comes after drinking. Deeply. So if I want to be quieted... well...

Beck said...

Oh!
I carried that verse on a little card with me for WEEKS when I had to suddenly wean The Baby. It was a huge consolation.

Stacey Jones said...


If you need to hire a real hacker to help spy on your partner's cell phone remotely, change your grades or boost your credit score. Contact this helpline +1 347.857.7580 or the email address expressfoundations@gmail.com