Saturday, July 12, 2008

What Faith is

Some people talk about "Faith", like it is another name for religion, or something tangible that helped them get through some hard thing. "My Faith got me through it." I get that, I really do, but Faith is not a religion, or even something to be grasped with our hands, I believe. Faith is essentially trusting in nothing that the human eye can see. Things unseen. I can ask my friend who is pregnant with her seventh child what faith is, and she will tell me clearly and we will understand the definition perfectly together. For when we experience circumstances which force us to have Faith, then we really know Faith. Faith, according to Hebrews 1, is: "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
Trust me... it's real hard to believe what you do not see.
Remember the Bible story of faith? Of Peter walking on the water? He challenged Jesus to tell him to walk on the water to prove it was Him. Peter did, and when his eyes were off Jesus, and he noticed he was walking on an unsecured surface--he lost faith. When Peter doubted whether or not he could walk on the water, he began to sink. When he took his eyes off of Jesus, he sank.
It is hard to take that first, shaky step of faith. To walk without security on water. That is faith. Not knowing what is ahead, or even if our decisions are the "right" ones. But, if we keep our eyes on Jesus, He will declare us "ones of great faith", and faith is, after all, "being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see."

3 comments:

Toia said...

That's so true. Faith is believing without seeing. Jesus told the disciples, "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed," (John 20:29)

Your post also brings one of my favorite scriptures to mind...."Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen," (Hebrews 11:1)

If you truly want to be led by God, you must "walk by faith and not by sight," (2 Cor. 5:7).

The great thing about faith is that it can be a verb as well as a noun. "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also," (James 2:26). We have to put our faith into action in order to bring life to the works God has planned for us to do.

Beautiful post!! This is my first time visiting. I will definitely visit again.

Have a blessed weekend!!

Terry said...

You really got me thinking with this one. You're on to something quite profound. Thanks for the though provoking post.

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

You're right.

I took a spiritual gifts test one time that rated me high in Faith. I liked that they put it as a gift (not all do), because it is an area that some have more difficulty exercising than others.