Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Good times

Last week we drove 6 hours to stay with friends in western Pennsylvania. (Any Western PA readers? That is some gorgeous country!!) As we were leaving on Sunday, my 7 year old got very tearful about leaving. She did do a lot of firsts: lost her first front tooth, went tubing on the lake, rode her first pony, rode her first roller-coaster, rode her first motor boat, among other things. Her emotional reaction was so unexpected and heart breaking as her mother, to see. Later she told me, "Mom, I didn't want to go, I just had so much fun." She cried on and off the first hour of driving, until finally I just went in the backseat with her and just held her while she sobbed it out. Talk about wanting to sob myself!! She is so tender-hearted, as I am.

Because she is so much like me, my heart actually aches for her: I see her reacting in a way I would, I see her being how I used to be as a child. 
And to think: just how much our Father loves us! How he made us and takes care of us, how He relates to us, how He loves us. His heart aches for us. He wants to take us in His arms and hold us while we sob it out--to liberate us from our sadness and anxiety and fear. That's the kind of Father He is.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.-James 1:17

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Andrea, I love the moment that you share about your daughter and how you relate it to God's love toward us. Thank you.

Monica said...

What a special connection you two have. It will be a blessing to be not only loved, but understood as she goes through life.

:..Rebekah..: said...

Always a wonderful reminder....the love of God! Thank you for it!

L.L. Barkat said...

How tender. How sweet. I can just picture her. : )