Friday, September 19, 2008

Days like this

Today was a good day.
I got to bring my oldest daughter to school this morning.
She usually rides the bus.
It was nice to take her.

Then I came home, got in my glorious bed, and watched movies with my toddler all morning.
I got to "baby the baby".

My two middle daughters are off with their daddy, visiting grandma in another state.
I was expecting a low-key weekend without their chitter-chatter and hurricane messes around the house. :)
But yesterday?
My "almost-three-year-old" fell down the stairs.
We spent all afternoon and early evening at the ER.
The diagnosis? A broken clavicle.
Poor baby has to wear an arm sling for 4-6 weeks so it can "heal on its own".

So today? 
I did not catch up on laundry.
Or bills.
Or homeschool stuff.
Or clean out the junk drawers.

I stayed in bed.
In my jammies.
And watched "Winnie-the Pooh".
And "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats.
And "Little Bear." (don't you love Little Bear's mother?)
And served my baby popcorn and chocolate for breakfast. (The chocolate was a bribe.)

An imperfect situation? Made perfect.

16 comments:

Courtney said...

Ahh, Andrea, sorry about your baby boy. Glad you got to snuggle with him today. I'm sure that helped the boo boo a lot ;) Hope he's doing okay. Have a restful weekend.

Aimee said...

Sounds like what you both needed :)

Gina said...

I'm so sorry for your baby, but what a special time together. And yes, I *do* love Little Bear's mother.

laurel said...

Poor little sweet Eli. I am sure that a wonderful day in bed with Mommy made everything better. And you probably needed it just as much as he did.

Brenda said...

Poor baby. Thank goodness mommy was freed up to spend the day with him!

That junk drawer will be there later.

Sara said...

Ooooh....no fun. So glad you were able to turn it into bonding time. Give him a hug from us! xxoo

Kelly's Rants and Raves said...

Nothing ever happens like that, until Daddy is gone!!! We absolutely love Little Bear!! Here's to fast healing!

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Love does that... makes the imperfect perfect...
You love well, Andrea...

I send much love,
Ann

tonia said...

oh my goodness! that poor baby! (and poor momma...am i the only one who is terrible in a medical crisis?)

i am so glad you had time to nurture that little one...and i'm praying for a speedy recovery with little pain.

(((andrea)))

Beck said...

Oh, your poor little guy! It sounds like such a beautiful day came out of it, though.

SuzyQ said...

Poor baby:0)
I think you made a beautiful day for you both.

Rose said...

sounds amazing! that's what i look forward to about being a mother. you sound like an amazing mother :)

Terry, Ornament of His Grace said...

So sorry your little boy was injured. Sounds like some cuddling was just what the both of you needed.

Elise said...

LOVE Little Bear's mother! Sounds like a lovely day, until, well, you know...

Poor baby.

Chocolate makes everything better, by the way. I hope you had some. :)

Sending love and sympathetic hugs! (((you)))

andie said...

I can't think of a more perfect day. Well, except all of this minus the broken bone part, yikes! Poor baby!! My guy did this a few years back playing football and ya, it has to "heal on it's own".

Hugs,
a.
P.S Little Bear is my FAVORITE childrens cartoon. Love it, love it, love it.

karijo said...

ouch!
clavicle pain, oye.

you are such a good mom.
i want to be like you when i
grow up.

:)
kj