Monday, October 06, 2008

The secret to a good life

I have a good life. I wake in the morning healthy, my husband doesn't forget to kiss me. He brews me organic french roast from Trader Joe's. I get to stay at home with my children. I even have four of them! What a blessing. I get CHOICES on whether to homeschool them or send them to school. I can call my mom, and my dad--whenever! I have a dishwasher, a washer and dryer, and a little peace and quiet sometimes. My life is good.
 You might look at my life and say, "How can I get that?" Or maybe you look at another's life. I can attribute this good life to my "good choices" (smugly) or any number of things. People look for ways to live a good life (their "Best Life") all the time. To what end? For our own glory? The truth is, it only comes about by His merciful, merciful grace. Oswald Chambers writes in My Utmost For His Highest: "We are apt to imagine that if Jesus Christ constrains us and we obey Him, He will lead us to great success. We must never put our dreams of success as God's purpose for us; His purpose may be exactly the opposite. We have an idea that God is leading us to a particular end, a desired goal; He is not......What we call the process, God calls the end."
Amidst the confusing choices to reach my goal, I must remember that my goal is the process. His end is the process. It is the end that is glorifying to God. What men call training and preparation, God calls the end. If I am to continue to strive for a good life, it must be all for His sake. Being faithful in the little things, adds up quickly to one big thing.

God's end is to enable me to see that He can walk on the chaos of my life just now. If we have a further end in view, we do not pay sufficient attention to the immediate present: if we realize that obedience IS the end, then each moment as it comes is precious. ~Oswald Chambers

*Thank you, Diana, for this Oswald Chambers quote!

13 comments:

JJJ @ fabricgarden.blogspot.com said...

Amazing when we call this to mind how much our choices change during the day. Thinking more "How can I glorify Him?" Thank you for reminding me of my blessings this morning.

(oh, and I am de-lurking here...)
:-)

Prairie Chick said...

wow. mind numbing stuff. highly contributing to my own reflections this morning on II Cor. 5. V 9 says that "Our only goal is to please God." v12 points out the futile thinking of those who are "proud about things that are seen rather than what is in the heart." and v 14 that we are set free for what purpose? To LIVE FOR HIM. Set free to serve a perfect master. Set free to obey the Giver of Grace.

Like I said, mind numbing stuff. For me at least.

Wendy said...

excellent thoughts!
more of him and less of me..definitely the goal!

L.L. Barkat said...

A good life indeed. Up on that beautiful hill.

Linda said...

I've been thinking about this for a long time now. Too often I am discouraged because I have not done "big things" for the Lord. He reminds me that He is far more interested in molding me into the person He intended me to be - moment by moment - in every little daily task or act of service. I must simply leave the rest in His hands.

Sandy said...

His end is the process.

So true! Thank you for sharing these truths.

Starla said...

Awesome...long time lurker and I just needed to comment. I needed to hear this today - many thanks to you.

suchthings.ca said...

It's almost a relief to find out that life is simply about glorifying God!
Maryxo

Katherine@Raising Five said...

I've been thinking about this very topic. You'd think we'd been talking or something =).

May I see each moment as it comes precious today.

Love to you,
Katherine

Katherine@Raising Five said...

That should be "AS precious." I think I need to come over for a cup of your organic coffee before I comment next time! Sheesh!

Mother Hen said...

Hi, I just found your blog today, and thought I'd say hi. I look forward to reading more. I enjoyed your post "The Secret to a good life." You're a good communicator. Obedience is a toughy in our culture of adult brattiness. Pretty sure that's not a word. But it's a concept.

:..Rebekah..: said...

What a wonderful quote. Thank you for sharing this.

Kate said...

What a wonderful quote to help shape my attitude for a few days. Thank you for sharing it.