Thursday, January 08, 2009

The greatest thing

Why is it, as Christians, we are drawn to the "do-ing" more, instead of the "BE-ing"?
Why do we make these "rules" and strive to DO more for Christ?
As if our plans and schemes and "DO-ing" all the "right things" are what ultimately grow and change us, or please God?
I have learned a hard lesson this year, and it is one of "letting go".
I have been stripped of what I thought was "right" and "good" and the "best choices", and I am realizing that, in the end, He's done it all.
I've been taken to a place where the only thing that I can DO is TRUST and PRAY.
I can't make things happen. I can't change circumstances.
I'm stuck in bed or the couch with morning (all day) sickness, so all semblance of a schedule is out the window.
What am I DOING?
Listening. Talking to God. Praying.
It's all I can do for Him.
Often I hear, after all avenues are exhausted: "Well, all I can do is pray."
Sisters--this is the wrong way!
Prayer should be the first thing we DO, as it's the GREATEST thing we can do.
That child we are worrying about?
Do we know the inner workings of his/her heart?
Do we know how to change it?
Can we go deep, deep, into their soul and cause change?
No.
Only the Lord who knows all things and DOES all things can DO it.
Instead of giving up in surrender to our "DOING" by saying, "Oh well, I'll just pray. It's all I can do."
I am looking at prayer as the GREATEST THING I can do.
It is the FIRST THING I should do, in any given circumstance.
It will cause the greatest change in so many different ways.
So, for this new year, my word, along with "Health" is "Prayer".
Will you join me?

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.~Phil. 4:6-7

Related: Nine Ways to Pray for Your Soul
How to Pray for Our Children
A Mother's Greatest Weapon
Praying for Our Children Calender (this from Elise)

11 comments:

Aimee said...

are you sure I didn't write this!??! :) Oh girl, we are on such similar journeys.

There are many times though that I can't even pray...I just say "Lord, you know"...I can't even "do" the conversation. I just say "you know my heart and I love you".

Anonymous said...

Well said...thanks for the encouragement. So right! I do NOT know the inner workings of my little ones' hearts, but God DOES.
Mary Brooke

Brown Eyed Girl said...

I just stumbled on your blog and so glad I did! Your words are so encouraging and have so much truth in them. I can't tell you how many times I have thought "well I guess the only thing I can do to help out is to pray." You put this in a great perspective. We forget how amazing and powerful prayer is.

Paige said...

Your blog always makes me feel more peaceful after I read it.

I just read a post from September, it has been a busy few months, and I'm one of those readers who never comments, someone you don't know at all, but I enjoy reading your words. So yes, you have more than 23 readers! Thanks for sharing.

Rachel D. said...

Yes, I will definitely join you! It is amazing the power that prayer has, and it is often the last thing we think to do. What a great way to start the new year.

Mrs. E. said...

What an encouragement. I know first hand exactly what you are talking about!
And Congratulations on #5!
Heather

by...K@ Ashcroft said...

wow. I SO needed this right now. Sometimes our "little ones" aren't so little anymore and they are far away across the country and making choices you never thought they would make and being influenced by others and...and...and...and.
I CAN pray for him, I can! Although I feel that is something I can "DO" for him that right now he isn't willing to do for himself.
Thank you so much for your words.

Holly said...

Amen. I was so blessed to read this. Thank you for sharing. Holly

Michelle Cowden said...

A wonderful new perspective! Thank you very much for sharing this.

Monica said...

Much needed reminder and encouragement for me today. I will be joining you. Blessings.

SuzyQ said...

I love this post. Thankyou.
:0)