Monday, January 26, 2009

Mama Monday

I am so excited to present to you the first "Mama Monday" here at Flourishing Mother's.
The first Mama I have the pleasure of introducing to you is my very good friend
Betsy
Betsy is the wonderful mother of two beautiful little girls.
She is a stylish "urban mama" living in the heart of New York City.
She knows the best places to stay, where to eat, what shows to see.
She can tell you the best parks to take your kiddos.
She is the ultimate "girl's girl." 
Doesn't every mama need that "girl's girl" for a friend?
I am blessed to know her.
Ladies, I bring you Betsy:

Greatest thing about being a mom – That’s easy – the love, of course! When you teach, when you play, when you hit a milestone, when you soothe, when you heal, when they finally “get it”, when you hear the belly laughs and feel the snuggles…I just can’t get enough. Cheesy but true!

Hardest thing about being a mom-- Realizing that I am my children’s first example of Christ in their lives. It’s a daunting task and I’m constantly failing. But I’m thankful for the challenges it brings as it always increases my faith and gets to the core of who I really am in Him. Not always a pretty picture.


Style icons/inspirations—My husband-- as he is a purist when it comes to true style. Also Kate Spade, Gwyneth, Audrey H, and my stylish girlfriends who always keep me up to date when I get in a rut.

Favorite blogs/websites—I’
ve toned down my blog reel as it was taking up way too much time…

Blogs:
KJ the DJ, Flourishing Mother, The Sartorialist, The Selby

Websites: Just the usual, nothing new and different....but I will plug my church, Redeemer.com.

Greatest thing about living in NYC—Too many to list! The way NYC can feed your soul like no other city. Being surrounded by so many strangers yet feeling like you can call each one of them your neighbor. Being in the minority the majority of the time can bring humbleness and give you such a great perspective on how great God’s Kingdom really is. There is such beauty in the raw and I love raising my family here to appreciate that every time they leave the apartment. We never have to go far for an adventure!


How do you find balance in your life—what balance??? Call the “flourishing mother” for an impromptu gab session! I pretend to make lists, organizing charts, and I’m still a mess. I take it day by day. Plans seem to make a fool out of me.

One word that describes you--- Interested

Hobbies/interests--- I’m a washed up ballet and modern dancer but I still love to dance - In my house, at weddings, or at night out on the town, just give me a beat. I also love collecting old nursery rhyme books for my daughters.


One thing that has been on my mind lately--- Am I ever going to figure out the show LOST.


I couldn't live without--- Cereal – even after the biggest dinner I still have to have a bowl around 9 o’clock. And I’m not picky, Lucky Charms to Kashi – I’ll eat whatever you’ve got!


What helps me through tough days--- Calling my sister for sympathy and my mother for a pep talk. Repeating His Power is made perfect in my weakness over and over and over and over again. And maybe a nice cold glass of Hitachino White Ale with my hubby at the end of the day.


Thank you, Betsy!!!

16 comments:

Prairie Chick said...

I *love* this!!!! Totally love it. Brought a big smile to my face. LIke the comment about New York, that's what it's like in the blog world too.... so heart warming.

laurel said...

Loved the first Mama Monday's!! And, what a small world it is...I read KJ the DJ (after my son was at her child's birthday party when visiting NYC. Crazy!), and she probably knows my brother in law, Scott Sauls, who is a pastor at Redeemer. I think there must be something to this six degrees of separation!! :)

It is so encouraging to hear from the hearts of other mothers. This is such a great idea, Andrea.

Aimee said...

LOVE THIS!!! This was wonderful and light and fun and encouraging and REAL!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Does Betsy have her own blog? I'd love to read it.

Denise

tonia said...

how fun, andrea. real moms with real personalities...i love it. :)
makes me feel like being myself...a rare thing on the internet sometimes!

Andrea said...

Denise--no she doesn't have a blog, but she SHOULD! LOL.

Rebekah said...

Andrea,
Thank you for doing this. It's such a great idea and so neat to get to know other mamas in a realistic and fun way.

Pink Slippers said...

CUTE picture..love the baby's face in the middle.

~nanashouse~ said...

Your friend is precious! I feel like I know her personally ~~ especially the cereal at 9 pm! I'll be thinking of her tonight when I have my cereal "nightcap"!

Andrea said...

Nana--that is a wonderful word to describe Betsy: precious. =)
Enjoy your cereal!!

Marybeth said...

Loved this! I am someone who has, sadly, never been to NYC, but had a fascination with the city since I was a teenager and decided I would one day move there and make my name in the magazine publishing world. Didn't exactly count on meeting my husband and having six children in that little scenario!

But I am still fascinated by a mom who is living there and raising children in the heart of the city. If I ever do get there to visit, I am going to contact Betsy for the scoop on what to do! :)

Marybeth said...

BTW, I love the questions you chose!

Emily Ruth said...

I've never commented before(i don't think). I love your blog and I love Mama Monday: )

flo said...

Another vote here for "love it!"

Very fun questions too. Looking forward to the next ones.

Cloverland Farm said...

yay betsy!!! and yay flourishing mom!!! i love and am inspired by you guys!!! what a great post! thank you!
xo

Anonymous said...

Hi andrea what a small world I was in a small group bible study with Betsy and her then boyfriend in NYC--- we both went to Redeemer. I ended up moving so we only hung out a few times but i remember her as a very cool and artsy person--- anyway just thought that was funny --- i was also friends with cary jo -- you posted about her a while ago --- she is also such an amazing person--- ok well just wanted to let you know---
Elizabeth ( courtney's friend)