Thursday, February 12, 2009

Good things

It's been a long time since I had a TV show that I liked to watch in the evenings. I don't know why that is. Maybe because there was never anything "good" on, maybe I chose to spend my time differently in the evenings, or maybe I was too snobby to embrace the evening "boob tube." Probably all.
Right now I'm watching "American Idol" on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It's kind of comforting to have something to look forward to in the evenings. And for now, it's good for me.

John Piper in his book A Hunger for God says:

“The greatest enemy of hunger for God is not poison but apple pie. It is not the banquet of the wicked that dulls our appetite for heaven, but endless nibbling at the table of the world. It is not the X-rated video, but the prime-time dribble of triviality we drink in every night. For all the ill that Satan can do, when God describes what keeps us from the banquet table of his love, it is a piece of land, a yoke of oxen, and a wife (Luke 14:18-20). ….the most deadly appetites are not for the poison of evil, but for the simple pleasures of earth.”
ht:Amy

Often I have to assess my life, my choices. Is this choice ultimately good for me? On the first look, it might look that way. But I need to go deeper: Where am I feasting? Where is my hope? 

It's easy to assume that as a Christian, our hope is in Jesus alone. But all kinds of things can creep in, not like poison, to kill us, but like apple pie, putting on the weight. What is my hope in? Often they are good things: taking care of my family, different ideals or choices I have for them, and for me. But when they become our hope, which they can in a millisecond, then they keep us, as Piper said, from the "banquet table of His love."

1 comment:

laurel said...

This is a lot of food for thought.