Monday, February 09, 2009

Mama Monday

Today's Mama Monday is a local friend of mine. She is the mama of 2 beautiful young ladies, aged 9 and 5. 
I love what she says on her Etsy site "Children of Eve":

"A designer by trade. I quit the NYC rat race to birth, feed and educate my children. We spend our time making things, growing things and getting caught up in books. I have been making and selling hand made items under the name Children of Eve since 1987."

Ladies, I present to you--->Eve
Why do you create things?
I believe we are made in the image of God, the Creator. I create because it is part of my nature to do so. For me that plays out in many practical ways: for necessity, for enjoyment, even for profit. Though the best comes from just being inspired. Getting that thing out of your head & into reality because you want to.

Why did you start crafting?

I didn’t “start”. As far back as I can remember I was always working on something.

When did you begin to craft/make things?
(same answer as last question)

Is making things an integral part of your life?

Very much so. I always have a project going, usually more than one. My parents & grandparents were continually making things, so I suppose that’a why it’s that way for me. Growing up there were clothes being made, knitting, jewelry, homemade toys, dollhouses, painting, poetry, the garden, robot building & good cameras to take pictures of it all. There was a working darkroom in the basement. I was allowed to use anything I wanted, from melting metal for jewelry to building a giant chicken wire cage for my latest captive “pet”. It’s unfortunate most children don’t have the freedom to create anymore, they are given disposable craft kits that a monkey could put together.

What is the most favorite thing you have made?

Valerie, I call her my therapy doll. I painted her face after a very distressing phone call from my Dad. He wanted me to go with him to identify the body of his wife. I really didn’t want to but said I would. I got off the phone & painted a horrible dead face on the doll I was working on. After it dried & I was more settled I painted over it. Everyone loves that doll, she’s really special. People always comment on her calm, beautiful face. Ha! If they only knew what lies underneath.
(two of Eve's amazing dolls she makes. "Valerie" is on the right.)

What is your greatest accomplishment?

Becoming a decent & trustworthy person, I’ve come a long way.

What are some of your favorite blogs/websites?

Well of course The Flourishing Mother! If I’m in the mood to ponder I head over to Seedlings In Stone with LL Barkat. For encouragement it’s ElizabethFoss.com. I may go to SteveCrespo.com to see if my husband has put up any new stuff. Other than that I just bounce around aimlessly through Etsy, Christian unschooling blogs, and the myriad of really cool healthy food blogs.

Something that has been on your mind lately?

Argh, I’m trying to get this OFF my mind lately, which means it must be on it. What the future of the world will be for my children. Technology is rapidly growing, I don’t want to say “progressing” because much of it is not progress. The new ways to create food, the new ways to fight wars, the effects are so lasting. Where we are headed now, I’m afraid we can’t ever go back. I KNOW that God holds this tangled mess in the palm of His hand & He will straighten it all out. But, it’s still sad. Gotta renew the mind daily.
Sorry if this is bumming you out, this is supposed to be about crafting, right?

How do you balance your life?

By “balance” I take it you mean, how do I make time to do the things I want to do while doing all the things I have to do. I’m pretty disciplined. I try to do everything that has to be done first so there’s always time for the fun stuff. I don’t allow myself treats until I’m done with my work. The same thing goes for my kids, “If we finish this then we get to do that.”

What’s your favorite part of being a mother?

Wow, there’s so much. Well, I’m never lonely, I get to be with these cool little people everyday. It’s never dull. I now have a reason to do the things I enjoy like catching toads, tea parties, making toys, reading children’s books. Children are an excuse to step out of adult mode & enjoy the wonder of the world again.

If you could describe yourself in one word, it would be.....

I have two & they can’t be separated.....happy & thankful.
Thank you, Eve!!!

5 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

I love that picture of Eve! (Hi, Eve. :)

And the dolls. Always amazing.

tonia said...

love this!

i said it last time - but the behind the scenes peek at "real" moms is so refreshing.

great work, andrea...and nice to meet eve.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
(Eve),
This seems basic, but was helpful to me:
"I don’t allow myself treats until I’m done with my work."

Regarding the times God has placed us in, I remind myself that God has sovreignly ordained that I would be living now for His glory. I am so thankful to be a wife and a mother too. Our older and wiser pastor said something very interesting: "We have the benefit of seeing God's providence more than anyone that has gone before us". (paraphrased..he said it much better). I hate to ask, but can you recommend any good healthy food sites?
Mary Brooke

Aimee said...

she seems like such a cool mama...I would love to hang out and craft with her for an afternoon and pick her alternative brain :)

flo said...

such pleasure meeting Eve.

I love MM!