Monday, April 27, 2009

All we like sheep

My little guy had a long day today. He got up at 6 a.m. (earlier than usual, but not much), played outside for a good part of the day, skipped a nap, and was exhausted at 7 p.m. Mondays are the days that he goes to bed at least by 7:30 p.m. After dinner, the game is, "how fast can we get him to bed?" Tantrums and such are dealt with much grace: we can only attribute it all to tiredness.
Tonight he threw a tantrum doozy. This is rare for our little guy. He is generally easy going and compliant. That's not to say he'll let you run over him; but his personality is generally sweet and laid-back. Tonight he'd had it. It was time for bed, and he wanted to continue playing outside. He wanted Daddy to put him to bed, not Mama. He didn't want to brush his teeth. And so on. And he screamed. And cried. And hiccuped. And me, his mama, knew what he needed. He needed to be sung to, snuggled with, and put to bed. I knew in two minutes he would fall fast asleep. But yet he tested me: yelling that he wanted to go outside, crying for Daddy, saying he "didn't want to go to bed." 
I couldn't help but think of myself. There's several issues in my life that I am struggling with. I've been telling God for years how I think it should go. What I don't want to do. How I want my life to go. And He listens patiently, knowing what I need. Why do I have a hard time ending my rants with: "nevertheless, Your will."???
God let Job complain about his circumstances for a good long while. Our Lord was patient in listening to him--chapter upon chapter Job complained about his lot. (and I have to say it *was* a pretty bad lot!) The Lord spoke to Job and reminded him---
"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone-
while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels shouted for joy?
"Who shut up the sea behind doors
when it burst forth from the womb,
when I made the clouds its garment
and wrapped it in thick darkness,
when I fixed limits for it
and set its doors and bars in place,
when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther;
here is where your proud waves halt'?"

All-righty then.

"All we like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way." 
We need a Savior. We need someone to remind us that we did not make the Heavens, the Earth, the Sea, and ourselves. We need someone to tell us to go to bed. Our Lord knows what we need.

8 comments:

Aimee said...

"We need someone to tell us to go to bed." I love that!!!!!

Good stuff, friend, good stuff :)

Liz said...

For me, sometimes, it is so hard to manage the meltdowns with grace when I am as tired and worn thin as my little guy. In my mind and heart I know what I should do, be patient and gentle, forgiving and be the adult. Sometimes I feel so justified in my annoyance and frustration that I simply don't want to ask the Lord for help. It seems it always comes to a place where I am crying out to the Lord, "what does DS need right now?" And of course, the answer always comes back the same:"he needs to see Jesus--through YOU, his mother. You are what he needs."
Humbled, the Lord changes my heart and shows me how to patiently wait out the storm, comforting and forgiving the way my Savior does with me. I really enjoy your blog, thanks for sharing your heart!!

Lisa said...

He is our Father and yes, he sure can tell us "when to go to bed!" - love that!

laura said...

dear friend- thank you for the gentle reminder of grace. when the grace that was given freely to us flows down, spilling onto our children- that's when we realize how much grace we have recieved from the Lord. and how we so desperately need that grace ourselves.

kelli said...

I so appreciate your realness that is woven throughout your posts.

Thank you for this awesome reminder!

Kate said...

What a wonderful thing to have going in the back of my mind next time I'm listening to a similar tantrum! Puts me on the "same side" as my daughter, just at different levels...will definitely help me not feel so at-odds with her. Thanks.

Melissa said...

Thank you~ I needed this today

Anonymous said...

Andrea,
I am soooo grateful for your humilty. As a working mom, many times I think if I go to your site or similar posts, I will feel even more discouraged. AGAIN, I am brought back to Christ and how we are all sinners and his grace is sufficient. Thanks - I love reading your blog and never feel if only I was home........ (although that is my desire.) Your wisdom and truth is refreshing and encouraging. Sure hope you can come to Pennsylvania this summer.
Diana B.