Monday, April 20, 2009

Mama Monday

Today's Mama Monday is the provocative, thoughtful author of the blog Kids, Twins, and Laundry Bins.

Elizabeth is the mama to five beautiful children: 3 "singletons" and 2 twin girls--double the love!

Elizabeth writes passionately about her family, following the Lord, and various social and cultural issues including a published piece in her local paper entitled: "Breaking up with Facebook is hard to do"


Ladies, I am pleased to bring you Elizabeth:

1. greatest thing about being a mom:


Getting to know and fall in love with each of my children. They are
all so unique and endowed with such varying personalities,
temperaments, gifts, strengths and yes, even weaknesses. It's humbling
to see yourself reflected back through your children's behavior and
attitudes. It keeps me honest. And it brings me to my knees in prayer.
Most of all, being a mother has taught me the awesome power of love.
Love makes all the difference.

2. hardest thing:

When everyone has the tummy flu--including Mommy!

3. how do you find balance in your life:

By prioritizing my marriage. Matt & try to schedule frequent date
nights and annual getaways because we understand that providing a
stable, healthy family requires two parents who value and appreciate
each other. Spending time alone together reminds us that before we
were parents, we were lovers and best friends. We don't ever want to
lose that.

4. hobbies/interests:

Writing, reading and the occasional, friendly debate about politics,
religion and poetry.

5. life with five children is--exhausting, exhilarating, challenging,
rewarding, meaningful and hilarious.

6. favorite blogs or websites

I love blogs that make me think. Jennifer F's "Conversion Diary" is
well-written and insightful. I read the Huffington Post--just to know
how the other side thinks, ha ha. I enjoy Abraham Piper's "22 Words"
blog--such amazing wisdom in tiny, bite-size pieces. I drool over what
Ali Edwards does with scrapbooking--I'm a backslidden scrapbooker,
myself. I've learned great photography tips through Karen Russell &
Tara Whitney's blogs. I even read the occasional scientific blog--
although I don't understand half the concepts. LOL.

7. I couldn't live without--

My dear, precious Mac computer.

8. favorite thing to do with your family

Spend a day at the beach swimming, surfing, body-boarding and building
sand castles. Then walk across the street to the Olde Spaghetti
Factory and chow down on some awesome grub.

9. favorite food

Greek/Mediterranean food: hummus, dolmades, spanakopita. Italian food:
shrimp scampi, linguine in white wine sauce. Wow, I'm hungry just
thinking about it!

10. favorite treat

MINT MILANOS!

11. 3 books that changed your life

Just three? Arrrrrgh!

Excluding the Bible: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, My Utmost For His
Highest by Oswald Chambers, the poetry of John Donne especially
"Batter my heart, three person'd God."

12. parenting "epiphany"

That I'm going to make mistakes and that's OK. Making up and making
amends make all the difference. Love and forgiveness really are the
answers to most of life's problems.

13. verses that comfort you

Isaiah 40:11 "He shall feed His flock like a shepherd: He shall gather
the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and shall gently
lead those that are with young."

14. one word that describes me--

Critical thinker.

Thank you Elizabeth!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
I enjoy reading your blog! I feel like it keeps me somewhat updated. It's great to see your love for our Lord, for your husband and family.
warmly, your friend in Atlanta with 3 singletons and baby twins (Mary Brooke)

Susan @ HeartPondering said...

Thanks for this intro to Elizabeth - loved it, and enjoyed her blog.
I was especially drawn to the article on Facebook as I recently wrote a piece that shared some similarities called "Faith and Facebook" -- see bottom link at http://heartpondering.wordpress.com/about/my-writing/
Good for Elizabeth to follow through and actually break up!
Blessings to you both, Andrea and Elizabeth

Aja said...

Fun reading! I love to get to know other moms. And, Elizabeth, I love that Donne poem! One of my favorites!

Sheila said...

Thanks so much for the interview. I subscribed to her blog and "tweeted" about one of her posts.