Monday, April 27, 2009

Mama Monday

Today's Mama Monday is a local-in-person friend of mine.
She is the kind of friend who makes you laugh and laugh, will remember your favorite meal (and cook it for you), and calls you "honey"--(I love that.) 
My friend Jeanette has a beautiful smile and is always talking and laughing. I am blessed to know her!
Ladies, I bring you Jeanette:
Jeanette and her 100% Irish husband Tim

1. Greatest thing about being a mom
My kids seem to love me no matter what. They are so loving and affectionate. I can’t imagine when they are all grown up and it will not be possible to hold them and kiss them 1000 times a day!

2. Hardest thing
Sleep deprivation & potty training.

3. how do you find balance in your life:
Balance? What’s that? I just remember that before I had kids I had balance and one day too soon they will leave the nest and I will have more balance (time) on my hands then I’ll know what to do with. For now it’s really mostly about them. Sorry to disappoint ladies if you thought I was going to offer some mystic words of wisdom on this subject but Mom’s come last and that’s the truth! Sometimes I sneak away when my husband’s home to go “food shopping” and then go to the diner by myself or to TJ Maxx for a little retail therapy. I LOVE a good bargain LOL! I am always gone for hours but Tim never asks why it took soooo long to do the grocery shopping. I feel refreshed when I get back!

4. hobbies/interests:
Books, knitting, I would say scrap booking but I haven’t done it in about 3 years (anybody want to buy some supplies? Ha ha!), reality TV (ashamed to say), author and sociologist Malcolm Gladwell ( Blink, The Tipping Point, Outliers), nutrition, cooking, food, politics and economics.

5. describe your family
Traditional and close-knit.

6. Describe yourself in one word
Paranoid (my sister’s recommendation) Made me laugh but it’s true!

7. I couldn't live without--
My Jesus, my Mac and my Coffee!

8. Favorite color
Have to pick two…grey and orange. What a contradiction!

9. Favorite food
Latin. I love good Mexican…I could sustain myself for days on fresh tortilla chips, guacamole and salsa. I also love all types of soup.

10. How motherhood has changed you
In the obvious ways it does to all women..physically & mentally. One thing is that before I had my children if you asked me if I thought I was a selfish person I would have balked at that question and said “NO!” Having children has shown me what a selfish person I really am. Moms have it the hardest b/c I feel we are the ones that have to deny the most to ourselves. You know--like a shower when we want it! I really wanted what was best for my kids and for our family and for us that meant being at home with them full-time. It’s what is best for them but it was a sacrifice for me professionally. I gave up a lot to be at home with them and would do it again, I have no regrets, but I do wonder sometimes what will happen in the future. I do not see myself staying at home when they are both in school full time but I am not sure I know what I’d like to do with the rest of my life now that everything is so different! So one significant way motherhood has changed me is that it brought to my attention that I am basically a really rotten person sometimes and I do need a Savior! So that is a good thing!

11. happiest childhood memory
Being with my paternal-grandmother on the double swing in her backyard. She would sit with me for what seemed like hours and tell me stories and answer whatever questions I had. The time she spent with me is more valuable than anything. She has been gone 6 years this year and I still think “oh I’d love to pick up the phone and tell her what Timothy or Grace did…she would get such a kick out of it!” and then I remember she is not here. I cannot wait to see her again and I know I will thank the Lord!

12. Favorite treat

I love all treats…but some of my favorites include:
York peppermint patties; chocolate layer cake, salsa, chips, guacamole, good bread, coffee, green iced tea and the Chocolate Duet Cookie from Panera Bread, Caramel and all lemony or coconutty stuff! Since I am currently on Weight Watchers I am not eating ANY OF THIS RIGHT NOW…I AM NOT BITTER ABOUT IT AT ALL…HONEST (yeah right)!

13. 3 books that changed your life
1. The Bible – saved my life and that is how it changed it!
2. You Are What You Eat, Gillian McKeith
3. Slim For Life, Gillian McKeith

The two Gillian McKeith books are about health and nutrition. She also has a show on The BBC called You Are What You Eat. I am very concerned about the lies that we are being told about what is and isn’t healthy for our bodies. High Fructose Corn Syrup and basically all refined sugar is what is really making people fat and unhealthy. I am very conscious about what I eat now. This does not mean I am a freak and won’t let my kids eat a happy meal once in a while, but I make better food choices for myself and my family 90% of the time these days and over the long haul I believe that will lead to a healthier lifestyle. These books have so much information about nutrition, the body and how it digests food and I would highly recommend them to anyone that is interested in eating a diet that is a little closer to how our Maker probably intended us to eat.

Jeanette's precious children
Thank you Jeanette!!!

5 comments:

Christine said...

I love learning about one of your local friends! I totally agree that there's a level of selflessness that is just about impossible to attain without having children. I never realized how much there was of myself to set aside or give up until I became a mom!

laurel said...

Jeanette sounds very down to earth and unpretentious. It was fun to read her answers. I agree that potty training is one of the hardest things about parenting. Good grief, that is the pits!! :)

tonia said...

very fun interview! i love how your personality comes through, jeanette.

signed,

one of those freaks who won't let her kids have a happy meal.

*wink*

Anonymous said...

Jeannette, I enjoyed reading the whole thing. It's great to read about another Mama's joy in the journey. I appreciated reading about avoiding corn syrup + refined sugar...it's something I continually need to be reminded of (there's so much of it when we go places that I need to keep it simple at home). Mary Brooke

dorothy said...

Jeanette,
Don't you know I went "grocery shopping" alone tonight and got in a 1/2 hour at Starbucks with a book (my husband heartily supported it - what does that tell ya?). Thanks for sharing yourself:)