Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Be-ing a mother

As Mother's Day approaches, the focus around blogs and media tends to lean towards what "being a mother" means. What does it mean to you? What does it mean to her? The answers are so varied and different. Everyone has their own unique experience with mothers and with being a mother.
This Mother's Day I want to focus on what "BE-ing" a Mother is.
Is it the home cooked meal every night?
Is it kissing boo-boos and giving kisses and hugs?
Is it nurturing their learning spirit?
Is it memorizing scripture with them?
Teaching them about Jesus?
Being patient, loving, and using kind words?
Gosh, I could go on.
Sometimes I think--I have this picture in my head of what mothers should and should not do.
Where does this come from?
How do I know what's right anyway?
This Mother's Day, the best gift I can give my children is to love Jesus. It is all I have to "do".
I need to be with Jesus.
What does that look like?
Since we are created to be intimate with God, to be dependent upon God, then that is what I need to do.
Every day I need to be dependent on Him.
Maybe that means I go up in my room, close the door, and tell my children that "mama need a few minutes." To pray, to read the Word, to connect with Him.
It means instead of worrying about my children, I pray to Him about them.
That I read Psalm 23 and imagine myself walking by still waters in peace, or in the deep valleys, as He holds my hand, of course.
And I take those images with me as I'm doing 80 things at once around dinner time.
Or when my children's needs overtake me and I feel overburdened.
I need to BE with Him to BE a mother.

"I never thought you should be rewarded for the greatest privilege of life." ~May Roper Coker, Mother of the Year 1958

....enjoying this post this morning...head on over and put your name in the drawing for a free book...

8 comments:

Rain said...

Thank you for your rich thoughts and the heads up on the giveaway.
As a mama of 5 I have had many anxious thoughts and grown weary. But I keep pondering what Jesus says that His yoke is easy and His burden light. I must remember to put Him above all else and rest in Him 24/7.
And if I seek to do what He has asked of me and NOTHING more I will not grow weary.
Blessings to you!

Liz said...

So true, so well said. Just the reminder that this mama needed today.

Joy said...

Your thoughts today stopped me in my tracks...been thinking about them all morning...realized after I finished my post today how much it was inspired by your own. I have been so struck by the hope you expressed when you said "I need to BE with Him to BE a mother." It takes the burden away...

http://memoriaarts.typepad.com/memoria_arts_life_in_the_/2009/05/hopeful-parenting.html

Cloverland Farm said...

totally different topic, but saw this today and it kind of made me think about you guys:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/garden/07nova.html
i guess b/c you both have such amazing style. and you have a house full of kiddos! :) hope you're well.

Suzy said...

Beautiful Post.
I'm taking it in, learning, growing little by little.
It's a wonderous thing that mothering truly does bring us closer to Our Heavenly Father.

Heather said...

So well put. We make our job so much harder when we neglect our time in the Word and prayer.
I see it all the time in my life.
Thanks.

Jenn said...

As long as we keep striving to grow in our relationship with our Father, then our mothering will glorify Him and help our children know Him.

Cloverland Farm said...

yes! let's get together w/ lee and betsy!! so fun!