Sunday, June 21, 2009

It's Fatha's Day

I debated on whether or not to write a post about my husband today on Father's Day. The truth is, there is so much to say, but no appropriate words to even express the thoughts. Writing about him feels sacred. It's not easy to say all I want to in a simple blog post.
Many of you know that I married my husband and became an instant mom. My oldest daughter, who is now 15, was 3 years old when we met. Because her biological mother had tragically passed away, I became "Mom" to her, and have been ever since she was 5 years old. From the outside, this situation could have looked complicated: young woman taking on the responsibilities of a a new wife and a new mother. I won't deny it was very difficult in the beginning. Many well-meaning people questioned what I was doing and tried to make me aware of the responsibilities. (I was very aware that it was not a decision to be made lightly.) Truth is, I loved my husband and wanted to marry him, but also saw it as a "bonus" that he was already a father. I loved him for so many reasons, but a big part of my attraction to him was seeing the kind of father he already was.
To this day I am in awe of his dedication to our family, his enduring love for our children, and his never ending devotion to them. Truthfully, I could not be a mother without him. (and not in the obvious ways!) I guess what I am saying is I could never be the mother I am without his love, help, and support.
So...to my husband: I write you love letters all the time, send you texts that tell you how much I love you and am thankful for you, and now you get a whole blog post devoted to you. I love you and Happy Father's Day!

5 comments:

laurel said...

I was so impressed when you told me about your husband raising his daughter by himself. How could you not fall in love with a man like that?! There is nothing more lovely to see than a man being a tender father. Seeing my hubby with my children makes me love him more than I ever could have imagined on our wedding day.

Courtney said...

You are blessed to have one another;)...you've each helped to make the other become the wonderful parents that you are today.

Children of Eve said...

Beautiful post, Andrea. God had this wonderful plan for you to walk right into. The way He skillfully knit your family together is a testimony on so many levels.

Christine said...

There's just something so special about a man who cherishes his responsibility as a father. I agree- very sacred topic. What a blessed family you are!

deb said...

you said what I always think and wonder why. It is so hard to write about the feelings I have for my husband. it's like trying to describe a storm and a sunrise and a short of breathe kiss and a comforter on a cold day all at once.
I hope you have the energy each morning to receive blessings , and continue to give them
thanks