Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Thriving, riding on uncertainty

I am one of those people who craves stability and certainty. I'm a planner.  I like routines, I like "sameness". So when life's circumstances take a different turn than what I expected, it's unsettling to me.
Due to many recent life circumstances in my life the past year and a half, I am beginning to see and understand more that uncertainty is the one thing we can be sure of in this life.  Jesus did say there would be many storms in this life. He never promised a life without challenges or uncertainty. So with that knowledge, I have to learn to face the challenges and uncertainty head on.
I guess you could say it's a coping mechanism of sorts: I expect unknowns. I expect uncertainty. That is certain. Because we have Jesus guiding us, He is our rock, He is the One who is certain and unchanging. This way I can thrive on uncertainty, I can ride the wave, so to speak.

This is the one thing I know. You said you won't let me go. You've done a good work in me and now You're making me free. ~The One Thing I Know by Sara Groves

Image found here.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

I am so much the same. And it is so true, the one certainty is the uncertainty. I have faced things in the last 5 years I thought I would never survive. As I type we are facing something very difficult...such an unknown to us.

It amazes me (thought it shouldn't) how when I get to the end of myself HE is there waiting patiently for me to depend. My continued prayer is to GO to Him first knowing my desperate need instead of waiting till I FEEL so desperate while treading on my own.

ashley said...

I'm also a "planner", to say the least ;)

This post reminds me of a quote I recently hung next to my mirror...because I want to change in this way...

It's from My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers:

"Certainty is the mark of the commonsense life--gracious uncertainty is the mark of the spiritual life. To be certain of God means that we are uncertain in all our ways, not knowing what tomorrow may bring. This is generally expressed with a sigh of sadness, but it should be an expression of breathless expectation. We are uncertain of the next step, but we are certain of God. Leave everything to Him and it will be gloriously and graciously uncertain how He will come in--but you can be certain that He will come." :)